The old "venting" question

Users who are viewing this thread

mhadden

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and one of the items I am getting ready to do is cutting the concrete to lay my plumbing for the bathroom. Simple bathroom with a shower, toilet, and sink. I may put a 2" wye below the sinks for a urinal (haven't made a final decision yet). On the other side of the wall to the bathroom sink will be a wet bar sink. I basically want to make sure that my venting is adequate before I start cutting concrete only to find out I need to cut more. I've constructed a rough diagram of the proposed construction. Main drain line is 4" PVC with 2x4 wyes to the shower and the sinks.

28759774.png

Feedback or help is appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower needs a vent before it hits the main line.

Also, the AAV won't work for a sewage ejector.
Any AAV also needs an open vent through the roof as part of the combination. Consider all the plumbing "before" it hits the basin as "real" plumbing. Forget the basin is even there. All plumbing needs to be proper "before" it hits a sewage pit, or septic tank, or community sewer.

mhadden

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply - I'll draw up a modified plan and post shortly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now get rid of the "double sanitary tee/cross" and use the correct fitting, with a cleanout below it. you should also try to eliminate the horizontal vents under the floor, if that is what your drawing shows.

mhadden

Reaction score
As long as the indicated shower vent wye is vertical before going horizontal, there should be no problem, correct? I suppose I didn't do a good job portraying that on the drawing. Updated the drawing as shown below:

88463348.png

Also, I suppose a "double fixture fitting" is the correct fitting, not a sanitary cross. :eek:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, not correct. The vent must rise vertically until it is at least 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture (the lav) Yes a double fixture fitting is the correct fitting to use.

abs_double_fixture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mhadden

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll reroute slightly so I can fulfill a vertical vent. I believe I'm set now (hopefully)!

99587360.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks