No Hubs on Schedule 40?

Users who are viewing this thread

BPC

Reaction score
I have a schedule 40 4" pipe that is connected to cast iron that exits the basement. For some reason they did not install an outside cleanout when this house was built. The cast iron would be almost impossible to dig down to to install a no hub on because of a small structure and concrete slab that sits in that area. Would it be okay by code for me to have someone dig down to the pipe for me on the other side of the structure and slab and then I can disect the pvc, glue a piece of pvc in each end of a 2-way cleanout, and then connect it to the existing pvc in the ground using Ferco style rubber couplers on each end? If that is not code, what can I do without replacing the whole thing? I've seen plumbers connect pvc to cast iron or clay tile, but I wasn't for sure if it was acceptable for pvc to pvc. If I ever have to have my main service line cleaned, I would like for the big machine to stay outside as my basement is finished. Thanks for any help.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can do that , or you could have them use 2 - 4" Slip couplings and glue this fitting in place.

Either way,,, MAKE SURE the connections are supported. Too many times ferncos are used on a horizontal pipe and the SS bands (shear rings) aren't used ,,then you have sagging. This causes stoppages and then comes the snakeing,,,$$$

We actually back fill with gravel and pour concrete around our ferncos,,then I don't worry ever again.

Cal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If I understand you right you want to install an outside clean out beyond your cement slab. The way you described will work. Non banded Ferncos connecting plastic to plastic are what you use underground. You can pop up 6" above ground and there are real looking fake rocks that you can get that will hide the clean out. If you want to add a clean out in the basement instead that would be fine also but you would use a banded Fernco coupling. How far are you from the street?

BPC

Reaction score
The Fernco style rubber couplers I was going to use have the hose clamp style bands on each end of the coupler. You slide them on the pipe and then tighten them down. Can I use these?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

That is the way I do it when I install cleanouts. And even though we do not have basements, I still don't like taking the machine inside the house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
BPC said:
The Fernco style rubber couplers I was going to use have the hose clamp style bands on each end of the coupler. You slide them on the pipe and then tighten them down. Can I use these?

Underground, yes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks