3/4 Gaterbite Push Fit Repair Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

PVC

Reaction score
Just one question..... On many blogs I have read (after I installed Gatorbite), the plastic fittings must be taken out of the Gatorbite prior to installation. I did not remove them. Instructions make no mention of removing the plastic fittings. I am a little worried. What are the consequences for leaving the plastic fittings in?
GatorBite pic for TL 3.JPG
GatorBite pic for TL.JPG
GatorBite pic for TL 2.JPG

The 1 1/12 inch fix was cut to about a foot to accomadate the lenght of the repair hose. Going on 3 days and the hose works great.

digging out the clay dirt in my backyard, my nephew found where the water line was with the pick. I put my nephew to work so he could stay out of trouble and make a little money.

I assumed the water line was laid out straight from the house towards the water service meter in the alley. But it zig zags. House built 70 years ago.

Drove to Lowes at 8:30 pm and found this 3/4 Gaterbite Push Fit Repair Hose.

We are digging out the dirt ourselves and bringing in a plumber to replace the seventy year old cast iron pipe buried in the backyard with 4 inch PVC to main. Plumber will replace Gatorbite with new copper before we replace the dirt.

All work is continuation of previous post "Clogged Shower Trap creating big problems"
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45544-Clogged-Shower-Trap-creating-big-problems

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if that was approved for burried use. Copper connections underground must be brazed, and not soldered because they are stronger...a compression fitting and hose just doesn't seem right in that situation.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if that was approved for burried use. Copper connections underground must be brazed, and not soldered because they are stronger...a compression fitting and hose just doesn't seem right in that situation.

We do not have to braze water lines just because they are buried. Under the slab yes...but not water service lines that run from the meter to the house.

In his post the guy says he is having a plumber repair it soon with pipe.

The only time a hose seems right to me is to wash my car with or to connect a washing machine. I might even hard pipe my washing machine and install some good quality water hammer arrestors.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you guys really think there will be a plumber involved, I have a bridge in New York City that I'm selling cheap

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose

Brazing is for indoors under concrete. Leaving the sleeve in with copper just makes the opening smaller, it does NOT create any mechanical problems. This is NOT a hose, it is a piece of PEX. It, and the Sharkbites, are approved for underground use, although I am surpised this one did not leak given the condition of the tubing's surface.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Brazing is for indoors under concrete. Leaving the sleeve in with copper just makes the opening smaller, it does NOT create any mechanical problems. This is NOT a hose, it is a piece of PEX. It, and the Sharkbites, are approved for underground use, although I am surpised this one did not leak given the condition of the tubing's surface.

Sorry but thats a hose....it's not pex.

PVC

Reaction score
Thanks

I wanna thank everyone for their responses, you all covered alot of information that I did not know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do you really think a company would preassemble a piece of "hose" with Sharkbite fittings on the end for a pressure repair application? I guess I will have to stop in at Lowes and see what they are selling.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Do you really think a company would preassemble a piece of "hose" with Sharkbite fittings on the end for a pressure repair application? I guess I will have to stop in at Lowes and see what they are selling.

yes I really think they would because they do. Its the same crap they sell to hook up water heaters with.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes HJ, you can get them at H.D. and Lowes in a couple of lengths. They have the push fit fitting already installed on both ends. Good stuff.......NOT

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That they sell it is not the question. WHAT they are selling determines whether it is proper or not. If it is PEX, regardless of how we feel about PEX, it is a suitable repair, even for connecting water heaters.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
That they sell it is not the question. WHAT they are selling determines whether it is proper or not. If it is PEX, regardless of how we feel about PEX, it is a suitable repair, even for connecting water heaters.

It's not pex under that stainless braid. It's a hose...just like the stainless braided lines for toilets,faucets,etc except these have pushfit type fittings on each end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks