flange externder without a gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

MandK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to raise my cast iron toilet flange just 1/8". I headed to my local plumbing supply and the guy gave me one of those basic white rings everyone knows about. But, he insisted that I don't need a gasket between the existing flange and the plastic extender. I'm not 100% sold on that idea.

Any thoughts on what is right or wrong?

Thanks,

MandK

jsc_flange_extender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MandK

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

Yes, that is the one I'm using. Just one is needed (no multiple stacks). I really pressed this guy about sealing it, but he stood his ground and insisted no sealant and no gasket.

I am going to seal it based on your recommendation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All plastic isn't necessarily the preferred medium. For maximum toilet bolt strength, align it so you are using the notches rather than the slots, then make sure you have at least the two screws each side of the notch installed. the notches are stronger than the slots.

MandK

Reaction score
Toilet is installed. I sealed and bolted the extender down at the notches. I didn't add any screws since I wasnt sure about screwing into cast iron. Local plumbing supply told me not to bother with additional screws.

The Drake II has an awesome flush. Thanks to this forum or I would not have considered a Toto. The dealer mis-tagged the sale they were having for a non-CEFIONTECT Drake II. The model number on the tag was for CEFIONTECT.

Last edited by a moderator:

MandK

Reaction score
wow!! I get lucky sometimes. While I never try to get something for nothing they were the ones that mis-tagged the toilet. They corrected the tag after I brought this to their attention. They honored the sale and I went on my way.

well, here it is. Thanks everyone for your help.

bath 6.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks