(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Laundry Room. Sink and Washing machine on adjacent walls with stack at corner

Hybrid View

Default Laundry Room. Sink and Washing machine on adjacent walls with stack at corner

Hey Guys,

I currently have a 4" soil stack running vertically from the 1st floor to the basement floor near the corner wall of the laundry room I am building.
    I want to plumb a sink and washing machine, both about 5 feet out from the corner of the room where the current 4" soil stack is.

I'm wondering if I can tie into the 4" soil stack with a 4x4x2" wye. From there I would run another 2x2x2" wye horizontally and run drain down each wall. With this configuration, both the washing machine and the sink drains would tie together horizontally and then use a very short common 2" line to where they tie into the 4" stack. Is this acceptable, or do I need to have each drain (washer and sink) dump into the 4" stack independently.

I would of course use 2" vents near the p traps on each drain which would tie into the existing 2" vent running parallel to the 4" soil stack.

Any thoughts?

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Isn't MA one of those state that requires one to have a plumbing license?

Normally when a horizontal branch drain runs into a stack, it is done with a sanitary tee.

It would be uncommon to find an existing vent in a basement. What is it for/from?

Yes, unfortunately MA will not allow the homeowner to do this job. But we don't snitch here! We are concerned about the vent, but if I am not mistaken, for some years MA has required all new construction to provide a "future vent" in the basement for exactly this reason. Maybe that is what he has.

Did I say I was from MA???? They dont let us do electrical here either Shhhhhhh.....

The vent was from the prior washing machine drain which was in unfinished space.
    Last edited by bryankloos; 03-31-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    Did I say I was from MA???? They dont let us do electrical here either Shhhhhhh.....
    bryankloos

DIY Junior MemberJoin DateMar 2012LocationMA

The line that says LOCATION MA......that was the tip off about where you are!@ Unless you lied in your intro!!!!!!!!!!

I think that when you do your own plumbing in Mass, they make you swim with the fishes.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I need to tie into the stack lower, as the current drain is too high for the laundry box.

As the stack is about 6 inches from the corner wall, I thought it would be easier to tie both 2" drains together horizontally before dumping into the 4" stack, at a new 4x4x2 wye, which would be mounted a bit lower than the existing setup.

I would run 2 vents, one from the sink side and one from the washing machine side up to the existing vent.

I hope this is clear???

Thanks,

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Normally, you don't want to share the WM drain line with anything else until it gets bigger.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If thats the case, I guess I need two seperate ties into the 4" stack? That said, should I use wye's or sanitary tee's at the 4x4x2 location?