(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hot Water tank Leak or Condensation? AO Smith GCV 50 300 ProMax

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Exactly...I used it to describe condensation without using alot of words. Frankly it doesn't make two F'ks to me or anyone else........its just this guys way to not add anything useful to the thread but still make a post.

dictionary: Definition of CONDENSATE

: a product of condensation; especially : a liquid obtained by condensation of a gas or vapor <steam condensate>

I did not find any dictionary or encyclopedia reference to condensate as a verb. You do yourself a professional disservice by speaking or writing with grammatical and spelling errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
    Hi,

I had an AO Smith GCV 50 300 ProMax 50 gal gas water heater installed last weekend. There appears to be a minor leak under the bottom lip on the back side of the tank opposite the burner. Plumber returned mid week and explained it was condensation between the inner tank and the insulation and would disappear over the next several weeks. The leak appears to be less now, maybe 1 oz or less per day. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Update:

We left home for a week, before leaving we shut off water to tank, shut off burner and gas. When we returned today, no water under the tank.
    Fired up the heater and now we will see if it any water leaks. The water heater is in the same small room as the furnace and was a constant 66 degrees.
    If the initial problem was condensation we shouldn't see any more leaking as the 50 gals in the tank was at room temp when fired up today.

Tank is leaking again. It appears having water pressure and hot water in the tank resulted in the leak starting again.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
    Tank is leaking again. It appears having water pressure and hot water in the tank resulted in the leak starting again.
    Sounds like the tank has a pinhole leak. It needs to go back under warranty. Plumber needs some pressure from you to to take care of the issue. Others will correct me if I am mistaken, but the plumber probably doesn't get a dime from the manufacturer for tearing out the defective tank and replacing it, so to him having to do so is lost time & money. (Car dealerships are different...they like warranty work as they get paid directly from manufacturer for labor...in slack times they get all happy when you find some obscure recall that applies to your VIN#.)

Stuff like this happens. (I even got a defective/deformed toilet tank from Toto that I took back to the supply house for another...this sort of defect in a Toto is apparently extremely rare.)

Plumber replaced the water heater today, insisted on $185 labor charge.. No leaks on new tank.

I have emailed AO Smith for a refund of the labor charge. I can't blame the plumber the AO Smith Tank was defective and leaked from the get go 18 days ago.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

The way I see it if the plumber supplied the water heater then you shouldn't have had to pay a labor charge. He should have billed A.O. Smith or the supply house. Unless he specified otherwise before the initital installation.

I give a year from top to bottom warranty that the heater operates properly or I repair or replace it free. Thats just me tho.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

My personal experience is that if the plumber supplies the parts, and there's a problem, he takes care of it at no cost during the warranty period (often around a year). If you buy the part (in this case, the WH), and it fails, you pay the labor for any repairs not caused by an incorrect install. On the original install, is there any reference to any warranty on any of the paperwork (including the quote)?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If he supplied the part, he eats the replacement cost! Otherwise it would be a financial gain to him to install defective equipment.

Either way, you need to find a more ethical plumber.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

boy it is fun to watch you guys go at it.....

the plumber is usually compensated for a bad water heater
    in the first year by Smith.. They will give him about 125 to do the warranty
    change out...

this customer got screwed twice
    the first time by the plumber installing a crappy smith water heater
    and the second time by getting chaged again by the plumber.....

Actually this same plumber has screwed the customer several times, an all too common refrain and why many of us are DIY'ers.

I don't believe the Plumber screwed me, he is a good worker, reasonable rates and there was nothing wrong with his install.
    AO Smiths Quality control department is responsible for shipping a defective tank that leaked immediatly upon installation. I have contacted AO Smith, there is indeed a policy to refund re installations to $100 max within the first year due to leaky or defective tanks. In my case I have requested a full refund on re installation costs as the heater leaked from day 1.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

if the plumber charged you for the original installation
    and the price of the water heater, then charged you again
    to change out the water heater only a month later.....
    you were overcharged....

did he not also give you a labor warranty of at least one year
    with the water heater that he provided you with???

he should have absorbed the labor and got his refund from Smith
    and should not have charged you again for what you paid for a month ago
    that is called ....... cost of doing business......
    sometimes you just got to eat one...which he refused to do
    and he made you eat it

therefore you were overcharged......

Mark, thank you for your comments.
    What do you charge to install an AO Smith GCV 50 300?
    What is your hourly rate?
    Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The point was (is) that generally, when a plumber supplies the materials and there's a problem during the warranty period (of his labor, often one year), it is fixed with no further cost to the original purchaser, regardless of what it cost. Paying for it twice, at whatever rate, is overcharged. the fact that it started leaking the same day reinforces the point that he should have resolved it at no cost to you.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014