Cooktop gas regulator location?

Users who are viewing this thread

chargerny

Reaction score
I was planning to install a new (used) GE natural gas cooktop today, but have run into a small problem. The gas regulator is located on the front of the new cooktop instead of the back where the old one was, and it hangs down low enough to bang into the track the doors under the cooktop slide on. To put it another way, it doesn't fit.

My question is whether I can moved the regulator from a direct connection to the cooktop, to a direct connection to the house gas line. In effect moving it from the cooktop end of the flexible hose to the house pipe end.

If for some reason there has to be a hard pipe from the cooktop to the regulator, could I put an elbow at the cooktop and turn the regulator 90 degrees?

Also, the old cooktop has a 3/4" flexible pipe to the house gas pipe, and the new one came with 1/2" pipe attached. I assume that I can just swap the hoses?

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Without seeing what you really have....my first thought would be that altering the cooktop would violate the UL/AGA/GAMA listings.\

I guess the manufacturers installation instructions would give you the necessary rough in clearances, and the burden is on you to not put doors where they interfere. I would try to get a hold of a GE rep to see if he can come up with a solution.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You can move the reg but you shouldn't re-use the gas flex line. Install a new one. Have your install inspected and tested.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost to have all of this done?

It would probably be free. Some gas providers will do an inspection for free to insure the safety of their customer. That would include a visual,soap test and or an electronic gas leak detector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks