Who turned the lights out? (I did)

Users who are viewing this thread

ian1511

Reaction score
Was placing a screw to secure a wall outlet receptacle in my garage. Had just painted that wall. Had to jiggle it a little and sparks appeared, I let go and all the lights in the room and the adjacent room went out. Garage door opener also won't work. The strange thing is that the circuit breaker does not show the fuse tripped on that circuit. Just to check, I turned the circuit off and then back on and still no lights. Where might the problem be? What do I need to change or fix?

Thanks,

Ian

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quite possibly a wire splice came apart in the box you were messing with. Make sure all the wires in the box are dead
before investigating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, especially if it is to code, things in the garage are protected by a GFCI...find it and reset it, and things will probably work again...could be something else, but that one is fairly common.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look for a GFCI first, but breakers are known to fail. Where you have multiple rooms out I'm leaning toward the breaker. Don't just assume it is still working and passing current just because it didn't trip and you can still reset it. Usually it takes feeding the other half of the split phase back at the breaker to kill it, but they are mechanical and do sometimes just die.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks