Pump Controller is "weak", yields low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

forest

Reaction score
I had some ancient (well, probably 1970's) pump controller on a 3/4hp single phase 230v pump at a depth of 300ft with a nominal water lever at about 125 feet. It pumped a ton of water. Not sure about gpm, but I would fill a 5 gallon bucket at the hydrant in about a minute. Shower pressure, hose pressure, etc were all well above adequate.

That was yesterday. That ancient controller bailed on me, and I happened to have a "Franklin 2801084915 Control box" that some moron well drillers that I hired once to "update" my well system had put on. At the time I had the well pipe, pump, wire and controller replaced. All seemed good except the pressure was crap. I was going to call another well service company because these guys were, as I mentioned, morons... but instead I tried putting the old controller on. It worked fine, so I left it.

Now, the Franklin gives me (seriously) about a gallon ever 5 minutes.

Anyway, what controller should I buy to get this thing working again?

forest

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the "service" guys that sold me this controller could very well have sold me a non-working product. It would have been just their "style."

Does a controller produce low pressure like this if the capacitor is blown or damaged or something?

Like maybe I need to replace this -->

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
They either run or not.

I suppose you are referring to the "control box" when you say controller. Simple to swap out to a new one.

My guess is that your pump is shot or you have a down-hole leak.

forest

Reaction score
I thought that too... but when I first got this new control box (Franklin) my pressure went from great to nil... then I swapped in the old one (unknown brand), and I got my pressure back! That was two or so years ago...

Today the old one finally gave up the ghost, and I swapped the new one back in... crap water pressure.

So, it has to be the control box (not really a well man, so, hah, I thought it was called the controller).

Anyway... if I order a new one, I should just order the same one these morons put on? It looks like the right one when I look at zorotools... I just wonder why it doesn't work. At first (assuming the new box was good) I thought it was undersized or something. From what you are saying I should assume the new box is "bad" and order the same thing since it is correctly sized.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

forest

Reaction score
[Solution]

Wow... for anyone that comes accross this thread in the future, it was going to be at least three days before I could get a replacement "control box"... so, in desperation I looked through the corroded parts and pieces in the old box and saw that it contained the exact same capacitor as the new one: an 86-103uF BMI cap: the one I linked in the link above.

The thing was totally coroded and the "bottom" that has the wire attachemt blades on it had fallen completely off of the cap. I got out my soldering iron and repaired it as best I could, then I popped out the cap in the new control box and put the old, repaired one in. Closed up the box and flipped the breaker... beautiful, copious flowing water. What a trip.

I still have a new box on order... but it turns out that somehow that capacitor had burned out or something, and the old one, amateurly repaired, did a fine job.

FYI!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks