(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Adding vent line for basement bathroom

Default Adding vent line for basement bathroom

Hi, I am installing a full bath in my basement and I am working on picking up a vent line from a 1st floor bathroom sink. I need to run the new vent line approx. 20 feet to where the 1st floor sink is. This also requires 4 direction changes (90 deg bends) to get from the new bath location up to the floor joist in the basement ceiling and then around pipes and other obstructions in the floor joists (through 5 joist spans) before I get to the existing sink vent location. Are there any restrictions on direction changes in vent lines before I tie into the existing 1-1/2"? Thanks.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

There are restrictions, the primary being that the pipe must have pitch to drain in any horizontal run, and cannot have any "jogs" in the line that would prevent complete gravity draining. Some areas also have limit to the length of any horizontal section to a percentage of the overall length of the vent. While there might not be a restriction to the number of bends, there should be one accessible cleanout in the line for every 135 degrees of change in direction.

You should also consider that the 1-1/2" vent allows no room for expansion. If you wanted to add the laundry or another sink in the basement, you would need to run another vent through the roof.

It is always best to locate a place in the house where you can go straight up from the basement through the roof. As an alternative, you can run straight up into the attic and connect to an existing vent there. Where there are no stacked walls to run a vent through, there often are stacked closet spaces where a vent can be run in a corner of a closet and boxed in after the plumbing inspection is completed.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

You do realize that the vent must tie in above 6" above the flood rim of the sink on the first floor.

John

You say "full bath", so I guess there is a toilet being vented, but a toilet requires a minimum vent size of 2".
    Your 1 1/2" vent won't fly.

There are NO vent lines in the basement that you can tie your vent to. Unless you already have a sink or something down there which is vented, but in that case it would probably be 1 1/2" instead of the 2 you need.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The OP falls under the IPC, under which an entire bath group can be vented through a 1-1/2" stack.

I was under the impression he was planning to connect the minimum distance above the flood rim of the existing sink, but that might be a bad assumption on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    The OP falls under the IPC, under which an entire bath group can be vented through a 1-1/2" stack.

I was under the impression he was planning to connect the minimum distance above the flood rim of the existing sink, but that might be a bad assumption on my part.
    Correction my friend. Two entire bath groups can be vented through an 1-1/2" line under the IPC
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]