(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet insulation on new Bradford White water heater a big problem?

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damselindistress3 View Post
    Dear HJ,
    Thanks for your input! I purchased a Bradford White 40-gallon gas water heater with a 10-year warranty (MI403S6FBN) and a thermal expansion tank and paid $1200 for the equipment and installation.
    Sounds outrageous to me for a tank with only 1" of insulation and a 0.59 factor. It is ~$450 dollar tank. (Plumbing work was cheap when I lived in Georgia a few years ago, lowest prices I've experienced although I mainly had drain work done.) Back when I thought I might have to replace the Whirlpool a few years ago I tried getting some estimates on Bradford Whites. Never even got a call back after calling a few listed BW dealers. Fixed the Whirlpool myself for free and scratched BW from the list when the other eventually fails.

But there shouldn't be any damage to the tank from this connection leak, so BW has no obligation, and wouldn't anyway since the problem was a defective install.

DIY Junior Member damselindistress3's Avatar

Thanks. Yes, after installation I got extended warranty paperwork from the plumber, and a 10-year warranty sticker (from BW) to put on the water heater. Are the two models (the "10" and the "6") the same water heater except for the warranty period? I was told that there was no physical difference between the two models.

That's the standard gimmick on extended warranties. The make a ton of money on warranties. Usually the tanks last longer than 10 years, and even if it fails after say 8 years, all you have left is 2 years pro rated.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by damselindistress3 View Post
    Thanks. Yes, after installation I got extended warranty paperwork from the plumber, and a 10-year warranty sticker (from BW) to put on the water heater. Are the two models (the "10" and the "6") the same water heater except for the warranty period? I was told that there was no physical difference between the two models.
    Sounds like you were treated fair to me and made the choice you wanted to make. Like with any extended warranty its useless until you need it and then it sure is nice to have.

I hope you have goodluck with it.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

One comment about the foam. I've noticed on my water heater and some others (may not apply to BW) that there is some filler fiber/sheet type material around the lower panel and foam fill point at the top. I assume that it provides a sort of stand off for the jacket during foam insertion and prevents the foam from extruding out the edges. These are areas that I see as being susceptible to accumulating some water during servicing/installation. In my earlier post I was ready to state that there was no reason any dripping should be happening after several hours at temp, until I noted this material that is in place in addition to the closed cell foam.