bathtub overflow configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
On the new waste and overflow drain that I am installing there are 3 possible configurations (direct, indirect down, and indirect rear). I am installing new dwv lines to the main stack so I can place the trap below in any location (open basement) so it is possible for me to use either the 'direct' or the 'indirect down' configuration.
Is there one that performs better than the other? It would seem to me that the 'direct' would be preferable as the water is going directly down to the trap and out as opposed to horizontal and then down to the trap.
Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

tub drain.JPG

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you get a clog, the most common way to snake a tub drain is to go through the overflow. This would only work with the indirect configuration. On most drains, you can't get the grid out of the drain without lots of trouble, but the overflow cap usually comes off easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks