I need info on installing a booster pump and pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

fcbclan

Reaction score
I need info on installing a booster pump and pressure switch
I have a red lion pump with pressure switch mounted on it. What should my original pressure switch be set at, and what should the booster pump pressure be set at. Do I need any additional devices? I have a second pressure tank to add as well. Are CSV's required or can I get by without them until I can afford them?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The only adjustment you have is the pressure switch. Usually 30/50 with a jet, but you might be able to get 40/60 depending on which model pump you have. You can’t set the booster pump to a pressure. Without a CSV, the pressure from the booster pump will be determined by how much water you are using. No you don’t have to have a CSV. Your pump will just cycle on and off anytime you are not using the maximum flow the pump can produce. But a CSV and a 4 gallon tank would have saved you a lot of money compared to a large pressure tank or two, and the CSV would do a better job than both of those tanks together, and made your pump last longer.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Seems like you will need a pressure tank if you dont do a csv. I found online - its a rebranded us made Amtrol 20 gallon tank delivered for 112$. Home depot has some for $120.... be careful some are NOT a good tank and have about the same look, seem to be chinese junk. the home depot website gives a lot of info on drawdown and place of MFG.

At 112$, 2] 20's are quite cheaper than one of the 42 gallon rigs.

If you have a multi stage booster, you could run it 45-75 psi and likely it will keep running as a csv will do when you have heavy use. 5 year replacement warranty on the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is that the OP doesn't have a purpose built booster pump but rather a simple shallow well jet pump that he intends to use as a booster. As such the "booster pump" would not have a flow senser to control it.

Using a regular jet pump cascaded to another pump has the potential for a vacuum to be applied to components not designed to deal with a vacuum.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah Amtrol is really protecting their dealers. Just like Goulds, Franklin, Pentair and everybody else. :(

That is just a regular WX202. They will tell you it has recycled rubber and a rubber schrader valve, where the "professional" series has virgin rubber and a steel schrader. I guess they have to try and justify it somehow. Still a WX202.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Okay, now I let the cat out of the bag! You guys are gonna buy up all my cheap tanks!. Its a damn cutthroat world out there in this depression.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The amtrols I buy have 7-year warranties. I didn't see what warranty this one had.

It might be made by Amtrol, but I have my doubts as to the quality. There are several "entry level" products out there made by the big companies like Franklin.

The Franklin motor you buy at the Big Boxes is not the same as the one I buy. It has plastic heads and other shortcuts.

It says made by Amtrol, right under Well Worker,

Ballvalve

Reaction score
They will tell you it has recycled rubber and a rubber schrader valve

Just got one and actually it has a SS Schrader valve with the usual double lock valve cap. But it does NOT say amtrol on the tank, but it clearly is one. great buy. No such thing as recycled rubber diaphragms except for door mats.

I would say that the only difference is the 5 year warranty. Enuf for me..... not much more money than the worthless 4 gallon water heater ex. tanks!

The box is made in Ohio, and its clearly a nice product. 1" SS waterway.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks