Could first use of new basement shower cause backup in floor drain? Weird situation

Users who are viewing this thread

zerolast

Reaction score
We have a basement shower which was first used today. The shower drain, sink, and toilet pipes were put in 4 years ago and we just finished the bathroom about 2 months ago. We have been using the toilet and sink with no problems for 2 months. I went into the storage area soon after the first shower and see the basement floor drain backed up with an inch or so water in about a 3 feet ring. My son noted during the shower he heard gurgling sounds and the water would backup in the shower a little bit and then "whoosh" out of the shower. This gurgling and whooshing only lasted a few minutes and the rest of his shower was normal. I checked other toilets/showers/sinks and even ran the culprit shower again and the water does not come up as I watch the floor drain. I poured water into the floor drain and the water level about 6-8 inches down stays constant. I'm obviously not a plumber but think the line was likely dry and the new water source might have caused some type of acute venting problem? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Double post: cannot find way to delete from drain forum. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks