Water supply to New/Old Home

Users who are viewing this thread

Rngr275

Reaction score
First, I would like to commend you on a wonderful site. I have learned a lot by reading old posts. I'll get straight to it:

I/we are purchasing an Amish home in upstate NY. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Amish that means no electric in the house and VERY minimal plumbing (basically none in modern terms). Before I installing water to the kitchen and new bathrooms I need to set up the supply. There is a shallow artisian well which feeds a 500 gal concrete cistern in the basement. Water flows continuously into and out of the cistern. Water has been tested and is good to go. Just so I do this right the first time I would like your (expert or not) opinions.

The tentative plan is to use a jet pump that is fed from the cistern (with a foot valve and check valve before the pump) to a large (50-85 gal) pressure tank to minimize pump cycling. Use 1 1/4" pipe to feed the pump (PVC or CPVC ??? I don't know) and 3/4 inch pipe to feed the P-tank. I would also like to install a sediment filter some place in the system but I'm not sure if it should be before the pump (does this impact pressure/flow) or after the pump. Looking for 30-50psi out of the system. The P-tank will feed the house using PEX and some sort of manifold system but that is for a later disscusion. I have a paper drawing showing isolation valves, check valves and unions which I will try to post when I get home if needed.

Is there a better way to build the input side of the water system before it feeds the house? I.e. different pump, P-tank size, what type of pipe should be used, etc.)

Thanks in advance..... McD

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A jet pump with a foot valve would work, but a submersible in the cistern would be better. A sub will give twice the flow and pressure for the horsepower, and a sub won’t lose and doesn’t have to be primed. With the jet pump a foot valve is all you need, and doesn’t need an extra check valve.

A 50 gallon pressure tank only holds about 12 gallons of water. Even with an 80 gallon tank your pump will still cycle a lot. All you need is a 4.4 gallon tank like the one in the picture to the left, if you use it with a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV and 4.4 gallon tank will do a much better job that an 80 gallon tank without a CSV. The CSV will also deliver constant pressure to the house instead of constantly varying pressure as with the old pressure tank only systems. I would also recommend a 40/60 pressure switch setting. You will like the 40/60 pressure much better than 30/50.

JPat

Reaction score
Website
huemannwelldrilling.com
The "feed" or suction line should be 1.25". You really only need the foot valve, as it is a check valve. Pvc is perfect, just make sure your joints are sealed perfectly or you will have suction leaks.
The piping going to the pressure tank should be 1", since the discharge of your pump will probably be 1" as will the inlet of the tank.
The sediment filter goes after your pressure tank so as not to restrict the volume going into the pump or tank.

Rngr275

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I am not sure what kind of submersible to use since the cistern is only a couple feet deep. Are we talking about a sump type submersible or something else? I had read about CSV's and how they work and I should have explained a little clearer about my concern with pump cycling.

I would like to be able to get and use a "good" amount of water before the pump kicks on. What if I told you the whole system will be powered by a solar/battery/generator system. And the goal is to run the pump with what ever power source is needed in order to store up enough water under pressure for a bath or 2 and a few flushes. Could this be accomplished with a large P-tank or a series of tanks? Or would it use less energy to just run the pump using a CSV or a P-tank system with a single P-tank.

I apologize for the confusion.
McD

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a solar/battery/generator system a big pressure tank or multiple tanks is a good idea. You can even get a generator that starts and stops with the pressure switch. This is a good set up for intermitant uses of water. Just make sure that any long term uses of water will use all the water the pump can produce, so the pump and gen set is not cycling on and off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks