What is the correct way to fix this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Who here on the forum thinks they know more about PVC and ABS than the engineers at Charlotte pipe? I'll be calling them tomorrow with this wiz kid idea and see what they have to say about it.

My code says...Pipe and fittings SHALL be installed according to the manufacturers directions. Show me in the directions for ABS and PVC where is says if you need to make a quick repair just cut a coupling and snap it around the pipe. You cant.

I can installed a 3' section of pvc pipe between cast iron and jump up and down on it with all 200 pounds of me with banded couplings.......try that with two of your half couplings with the pipe sawed half way into.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't really care what the lawyers say at Charlotte. They aren't in the repair business. I can take their fittings and make very nice repairs with them though.

I think what we really need from you is a video showing how the repair works with water flowing through the pipe. I think we need a ten year simulated test for this. It should be a 5 PSI or less test. That's all the inspectors want anyway on waste.

I think the old school plumbers should get a medal for this idea.

gold_star_award.jpg

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I don't really care what the lawyers say at Charlotte. They aren't in the repair business. I can take their fittings and make very nice repairs with them though.

I think what we really need from you is a video showing how the repair works with water flowing through the pipe. I think we need a ten year simulated test for this. It should be a 5 PSI or less test. That's all the inspectors want anyway on waste.

I think the old school plumbers should get a medal for this idea.

When I solvent weld PVC the ends of the pipe are cut true and square......not missing 3/4"-1" hole out of the pipe and try to span it with a coupling.

oops.....3/4 a coupling. Its not even a coupling at that point. Its been altered and is no longer legal.

Banded rubber coulings work fine with water flowing......I assure you the couplings dont are if they get wet.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score

Tell you what Terry. My boys are piping the water sprinker/feeder system on a greenhouse next door and we are doing it in 3/4 PVC so.....Ill make another small hole in the pipe and do the split coupling thing. IIRC the water pressure there is just over 55lbs so we'll see how it holds. I'm betting on forever. BTW they held the New Hampshire Skills USA competition last friday. My boys came in 1st 2nd, and 3rd. Heading for nationals in June!

gold_star_award.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Pipe and fittings shall be installed according to the manufacturers instructions.

So when did that or a version of it get edited from your plumbing codes. Are we doing what works for us at the time or what the code specifies? After all those dummy inspectors are not in the repair business are they.

You guys use the code as your sword.......until its your turn on the chopping block. Then the story gets twisted into..."It works fine" "we do it all the time" "It will hold forever"

Its called talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I'm told, it's one reason he's been banned from several other forums...

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Pipe and fittings shall be installed according to the manufacturers instructions.

So when did that or a version of it get edited from your plumbing codes. Are we doing what works for us at the time or what the code specifies? After all those dummy inspectors are not in the repair business are they.

You guys use the code as your sword.......until its your turn on the chopping block. Then the story gets twisted into..."It works fine" "we do it all the time" "It will hold forever"

Its called talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Of course you are correct. A non-approved homemade saddle fitting isn't to code, but will "probably" work, depending on skill and perhaps luck...

However, the op now likely has a direct connection between his sewer and his HVAC ducts. Big problem that must be fixed somehow ASAP. Duct tape around the pipe to cover the hole would be an improvement IMHO...

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
And it used to be so peaceful when Sylvan was around!

OMG what a blast from the past Jimbo. Thanks for the memories LOL

Hackney, breath in, breath out....relax, it's only plumbing. We all know that there's no code covering it and that what we do is probably stretching the code a bit but it's a simple and easy repair that works. You know it works and so do we. Besides, ain't that what plumbing has come to....fast, cheap and easy like my ex-wife.......maybe I should have stayed with her?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
And it used to be so peaceful when Sylvan was around!

No ones causing any trouble or doign any name calling. I'm making a valid point.

From what I'm told, it's one reason he's been banned from several other forums...

I was banned from a couple of forums because they talk too much and dont make sense. I point that out and it makes people look stupid that had a following of people that believed they walked on water. People dont like to look or feel stupid so they get rid of the guy making them look like idiots. One guy threatened my whole family and made the claim that he was going to "show up one day". But thats my fault,I shouldn't have made him mad. I think he got alittle freaked out after I forwarded the email he sent me to his local police department. I dont like threats......

Of course you are correct. A non-approved homemade saddle fitting isn't to code, but will "probably" work, depending on skill and perhaps luck...

However, the op now likely has a direct connection between his sewer and his HVAC ducts. Big problem that must be fixed somehow ASAP. Duct tape around the pipe to cover the hole would be an improvement IMHO...

I know I'm right and I also agree with you that duct tape would have been better for a few days rather than leaving it connected.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ill make another small hole in the pipe and do the split coupling thing. IIRC the water pressure there is just over 55lbs so we'll see how it holds. I'm betting on forever.

I wouldn't bet against you. I'm sure it's a "forever" fix too. Until you actually do something like this, you have no idea. Once you try it, it's obvious how well it works. You have much more coverage with this type of fix then you would if you had cut the pipe and used a coupling.

BTW they held the New Hampshire Skills USA competition last friday. My boys came in 1st 2nd, and 3rd. Heading for nationals in June!

Stellar!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Take a piece of 4" pvc pipe 4' long and make 2 cuts 24" from each other 1/3 of the way through the pipe. Take your couplings and saw them up and snap them over the cuts. Let them cure until your satisfied.

Now lay the pipe horizontal supported at each end with concrete blocks with the cuts DOWN with your repair. Now stand on the pipe. LOL

I can do that with banded rubber couplings all day. I can also do that with full proper couplings too.

I think I may make a video..........

I hope everyones having fun!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Again, you're taking this to the extremes. The suggested application was a relatively small hole or a screw or nail hole...not a cut 1/3 the way through the pipe. But, if you prime and cement it well and let it 'dry' out (solvent evaporate and solidify fully), it should be about as strong as the pipe was before it was compromised.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well what's that going to prove? You are cutting half way through the pipe for Christ's sakes and then putting 200lbs on it, of course it's coming apart. We're not talking about repairing anything near that drastic nor putting it under that much stress. You know darn well that what we are doing will hold on a waste or vent pipe forever.

gold_star_award.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well what's that going to prove? You are cutting half way through the pipe for Christ's sakes and then putting 200lbs on it, of course it's coming apart. We're not talking about repairing anything near that drastic nor putting it under that much stress. You know darn well that what we are doing will hold on a waste or vent pipe forever.

Maybe unless a guys brand new sewer blade hits it just right. Then he gets blamed for damaging the pipe...LOL

Or Ricks reverse auger or his 25 jetters from the other forum. Then he would find it with 6 cameras and have a basket of fruit waiting for him at his door from the customer.

All because you snapped a coupling on. LOL

I like you Tom.....your fun.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Again, you're taking this to the extremes. The suggested application was a relatively small hole or a screw or nail hole...not a cut 1/3 the way through the pipe. But, if you prime and cement it well and let it 'dry' out (solvent evaporate and solidify fully), it should be about as strong as the pipe was before it was compromised.

My point is that the repair is sub standard. simple as that. Full couplings are stronger and so are banded rubber couplings. The manufacturer will back my repairs and they will not back a friday 5 o clock repair your advising people to use.

Do it at your house but dont tell others to do it. Its not a code nor manufacturer approved repair. Its really that simple.

Extremes are often used to show an example......that way everyone can understand the point even if they have never installed pipe before.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you are thinking we are talking about patching a huge hole here? We are generally talking about putting a patch over a sheetrock screw hole or at most maybe 1/2" diameter and there ain't no way a blade is going to do anything to the patch.
Come on.......come on................you know you want to try it LOL

gold_star_award.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
At least here we dont have name calling and my phones not ringing off the hook with out of state numbers. I'm not getting nasty emails and terry isn't kickign me off and editing all my posts.

I like all you guys but dont expect me to agree with you beacsue of it.:p

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Maybe you are thinking we are talking about patching a huge hole here? We are generally talking about putting a patch over a sheetrock screw hole or at most maybe 1/2" diameter and there ain't no way a blade is going to do anything to the patch.
Come on.......come on................you know you want to try it LOL

gold_star_award.jpg

I've done it before. LOL

Ever use that pvc repair two part mix? I believe IPS corporation makes it. One counter day at the supply house a rep had some. He had butt welded 2 pieces of 2" pvc together. He handed it to me and bet me I couldn't break it. He was right. strong stuff. Check it out.

http://www.orencostore.com/img/NSU-RLA-ADH-1.pdf

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Then you know it works!

Does it really matter what the code says if its not getting inspected as long as what your doing works? If it works it doesn't matter what the code says if the code doesn't know about it.

Thats what I'm feeling on the forum.
Hackney

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks