Water hammer arrestor leak

Users who are viewing this thread

ktvaughan

Reaction score
I have a water hammer arrestor PVC column that is leaking (cracked PVC pipe).
It has an elbow off the main water inlet with a nut that threads into the elbow.
Can I unthread that nut and replace the column or would it all be glued together?
What is the current recommendation for replacing this (it's a simple 18 inch long piece of 3 inch PVC pipe capped at the top)?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Must be pretty bad water hammer if it cracked the arrestor. Need to find out what is causing the water hammer and fix that. Water hammer is the symptom, you need to find and prevent the disease.

ktvaughan

Reaction score
I replaced the PVC air column but the system stills hammers when the well pump shuts off. Pressure, cycling and pump seem to be working normally. It just hammers when the pumps shuts off at the end of a pump cycle. What would this a symptom of? Maybe my air column is too tall (I added 18 inches to be safe).

ktvaughan

Reaction score
I immobilized the air column with a 2x4 and it seems better. Maybe the air column was vibrating when the pump cycled.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You probably have a check valve with the spring broken or the check valve is dragging. When the pump shuts off, the spring is supposed to close the check before the water direction reverses. If the spring is broken, the check only closes after the water reverses which causes a water hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks