(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore no brine draw

DIY Junior Member Cruisinfanatic's Avatar

Default Kenmore no brine draw

Replaced every stinkin seal and o ring on the thing and still can't get soft water. Reason being I guess is because the brine will not draw out. The level says constant, about 9 inches from the top. Sears had me remove the flow plug in the venturi and confirmed that I get good suction.
    But it still won't draw out.
    Must be something with the float assembly even though the float seems to work freely?
    Help
    Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 09-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.

I does not take much of an air leak to break the suction. Check the lines where they go into the float valve and the head.

Ok, this is what I've done.
    I disconnected the float valve, so I could feel the suction at the end of the tube. Put on brine cycle and found the suction fine. Put the tube into a bucket and a couple of inches of water sucked right out in minutes. Then all suction stopped.
    Did this a couple of times. Seems to be fine at first then no suction.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Yep, pull the line and clean everything out. Blow through it, make sure it's clear before you put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Yep, pull the line and clean everything out. Blow through it, make sure it's clear before you put it back together.
    Took the drain apart and found nothing blocking it. blew theough very easily.
    After messing around some more I've found that on brine with the hose in a bucket of water, the level goes right down. But put that hose in the brine tube, the suction stops in about 5- 10 seconds. Did it over and over with same result. No air leaks anywhere.
    Totally confused.

Hair line crack in the brine tube?

Quote Originally Posted by biermech View Post
    When placing the float assembly into the brine well, you have to hold up on the float rod. If the float is allowed to drop, the suction will seal the float stopping the draw.
    Float wasn't on in my experiment. Just the end of the tube put in the brine well. Suction for a few seconds then nothing.

Perhaps the suction is weak--brine is heavier than water.

Usually when a float goes up, it shuts off water flow into the tank, not out of the tank. But once in awhile there is one that will go up and clog up and not let water go through it in either direction.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Not sure what my next step should be. Would it be worth all the time it would take to empty out all the salt and water and start fresh?

You have something blocking the suction in the brine line or the drain line flow control and the blockage is moving. So tear things apart until you find and clear it.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You have something blocking the suction in the brine line or the drain line flow control and the blockage is moving. So tear things apart until you find and clear it.
    What is usually the problem (material) when there is a blockage?
    Thanks, a million to you and others for being patient with me.

It can be anything that got in the works and will prevent water flow or a seal from sealing. Like a piece of rust/dirt or Teflon tape, fibers or hair etc. etc.. From where the water enters the brine pickup tube to the drain line exiting the control valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    It can be anything that got in the works and will prevent water flow or a seal from sealing. Like a piece of rust/dirt or Teflon tape, fibers or hair etc. etc.. From where the water enters the brine pickup tube to the drain line exiting the control valve.
    I may have the problem. The reason the suction works fine when in the pail of water is because there isn't crap in it. The reason it stops suctioning when in the well is because it's got lots of salt flakes etc in there. In the process of rinsing a couple times. If that doesn't work, I'll remove all the salt and clean it out completely.

That will do it.