Discharge Freeze

Users who are viewing this thread

jonohah

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to thaw out or open up a frozen discharge line for a sump pump. From the foundation to the ditch I am about 65 feet. Obviously the slope on my line was not appropriate when put in.

With that said what other worries besides the flooding should I be aware of. Currently I will be temporarily re-routing my pump to the sewer. I have checked my pump, float and in house lines and everything seems fine. No water coming out the end of the line.

Any ideas? Much appreciated. :)

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I have unthawed two inch lines with running water from a garden hose. I had acess to the discharge and the drainage was excellent. I ran water into the pipe and kept working the hose into the pipe. The running water is warmer than the ice and the movement helps to rot the the ice. If you have access to the line running water could thaw the ice and clear the line.

jonohah

Reaction score
Thanks...

I am going to try the hose idea. I will let you know how it goes.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sure, if you want to use it in a way inconsistant with it's use and labling, and how would you have water, some what under pressure, flowing through the pipe and have the cord going in at the same time. Not sure if they make them that long.

Personaly unless they make a product specificaly for this use (inside PVC pipe)I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I was thinking run the heat tape in the outlet and only plug it in if the thing freezes up. If it was only the end that is freezing, this would work.

Is it possible that a vacuum breaking device could be needed to allow this pipe to drain, rather than the slope actually being the problem?

How often does the pump run? If it is not very often, you could run it manually and blow the line out with air when finished.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You could put an AAV on it and see if that helps. If you mean outlet as in end of the run, wouldn't the force of the water push it back out? It may be bellied and if that is the case an AAV won't help.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
How do you get the plug out of the pipe to plug it in????

If this line is galvanized or copper it can be thawed with an arc welder. That is if you can get a clamp on each end of the pipe.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks