Gerber toilet frequently plugs up

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Hinkamp

Reaction score
I have a toilet which frequently gets plugged in my 1986 manufactured home. The toilet may be original; I don't know since I've only owned the house for 5 years. It says "Gerber 1.6gpf" on it. 1.6 gallons per flush, I believe. My other toilet is nearly new and has never plugged up. I have a septic system. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? The toilet probably plugs up once or twice a month. Before I get too many wisecrack answers, I will say that I know how to use a plunger and have done so many times. When I say "fix this problem", I mean to prevent it from happening. THANK YOU.

Steve

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A 1.6 gpf toilet is likely NOT from 1986, but could be. In any event, if it is anywhere pre-2000, as a 1.6 it is a very poor flusher. That said, without being too graphic....if there is not a drain issue on that line, it could relate to what you put in it! For starters, stop using Charmin or any soft multiply tissue like that. Get some el cheapo Scotts or Kirkland. There is a BIG difference in flushability of papers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to expand Jimbo's comments a bit. Early low flow toilets were a bust. Manufacturers tried to make their old water hog designs work with less water. The results were predictable; frequent clogs. Unfortunately, some manufacturers still are trying to tweak the old designs with fancy flush valves and pressure assisted flushing. Toto saw the problem early on and knew the internal designs had to be changed. The results were toilets that performed well while meeting the new standard. Over the 20 plus years of the low flow requirements, Toto has continued to improve their designs so that the newer models now perform well with only 1.28 gallons per flush. Few Toto owners report a clogged toilet, and most of those who do experience one find the cause is something being flushed that was not intended to be. Children's toys probably lead the list, but other things can cause the problem as well TP also makes a difference. I have found the cheap house-brand paper sold in chain stores to be the best.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can get underneath, you may want to check that that pipe is sloped properly without humps or dips...

Steve Hinkamp

Reaction score
toilet frequently plugs up

To Terry Love,

The numbers on my Gerber toilet tank (stamped inside) are "6 15-02 2". There may be dashes between all the numbers but, if so, they are very faint. Thank you.

Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't tell by the tank number, but I do know that the Gerber 21-702 was easy to plug.
That would have had the 28-790 tank. Your best bet is to find a good replacement. You know what you have, and it isn't good.

Steve Hinkamp

Reaction score
Thanks to Terry and everyone who replied. Looks like I will be replacing a toilet sometime soon, so Terry's consumer toilet reports will come in handy. Thanks again.

Steve

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
And, a definite plus for you is that you are just a hop, skip, and jump down I-405/Highway 9 from Terry. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks