??? Is my pump beginning to show signs of Failure ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump diameters may vary slightly but they are all designed to go into a 4" well. It really makes no difference as the motors are always the same diameter.

What brands are you looking at? Stay away from anything sold by the big box stores and TSC.

TVL

Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman!

The pump I am currently using is a Sears pump with a Franklin motor. It has lasted 17 years thus far.

1- Are the current Sears pumps considered a "big box" brand?
2- I've also had my eye on a Flint & Walling all stainless pump. Are you familiar with this brand?

Any suggestions would also be appreciated.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sears USED to have very good quality stuff. They finally succumbed to the other Big Boxes, now the quality is kinda hit and miss. They used to sell the same ones I sold but with an in-house name.

F&W is a good choice but we just don't use them here for unknown reasons. I have never heard anything bad and they are one of the few independents left.

Xlr8tion

P.E. (Professional Engineer)
Reaction score
I'd have used a F and W.......

But ordered the exact model Grundfos (16s15-14) that lasted 11 years in an extremely sandy environ as it only cost me 635 bucks delivered.

FWIW....Just checked F and W's flow charts and they must be optimistic as their flow chart indicated I could have gotten by with a 3/4 hp vs. the 1.5 I am running. that is compared to Grundfos flow charts.

I see they use Franklin motors so they just make the pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
FWIW....Just checked F and W's flow charts and they must be optimistic as their flow chart indicated I could have gotten by with a 3/4 hp vs. the 1.5 I am running. that is compared to Grundfos flow charts.

I don't think that is the case. The 3/4 maybe able to deliver the same flow rate but not the same pressure.

TVL

Reaction score
Submersible Pump Specs

Hello again!

So far I have no new news to share with you folks. But, as was stated by a couple of folks here, my present submersible pump is a "ticking time bomb" since it is 17 years old. However, I do plan to use it until it quits. But in the meantime, I have been looking at pumps and preparing for the inevitable. I have decided that when I do replace the pump, I want to purchase a Flint & Walling 4" all stainless submersible pump.

Currently our sprinkler system has 14 zones. The zone with the greatest output currently has a pressure reading of about 37 PSI while running with an output of about 11.25 GPM. Since I am somewhat concerned about our well not producing as it once did and I feel more and more individuals are tapping into the same stream and possibly depleting the supply, I definitely want to stay with a pump that is comparable to the one we now have. I do not wish to pump more than I am currently pumping! Although I don't have the specs for our current pump in front of me, based on memory I recall the 1 HP Sears pump being rated at 40 PSI with 120 of head with an output of 11.9 GPM ................. I will definitely verify this later this weekend!

The following info highlighted in yellow is for an 1 HP F&W 4 inch 10 GPM rated pump. At 40 PSI with 120 foot of head, it is rated at 12.9 GPM. My questions:

1- One GPM more isn't very much, but do the newer pumps perform better than those produced 17 years back?
2- How accurate are these charts?
3- Unless I am assuming incorrectly, the F&W pump is a excellent match for what I am presently using ....... correct?
4- My pump setup is a 3 wire setup. Is it worth the few extra bucks to go with a capacitor start / capacitor run control box??? My present setup is just a capacitor start control box.

Pump Spec.jpg

TVL

Reaction score
Update on Pump Info

OK ................ I was off a little on my memory:

Current Sears Pump: 1 HP
Head @ 125 Feet 40 PSI: 12.9 GPM
Stage: 10

Proposed F&W Pump: 1 HP
Head @ 120 Feet 40 PSI: 12.9 GPM
Stage: 15

So, they do appear very comparable, except the F&W is a 15 stage pump.

Please explain "stage" ............. is more better??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks