(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ??? Is my pump beginning to show signs of Failure ???

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

TDR = Time Domain Reflectometer

An acoustic pulse is sent down the casing and the time measured for the echo returned. It will tell you how far it is down to the water.

http://www.enoscientific.com/well-sounder-PRO.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tvl View Post
    Question: Our well was dug in 1978 and has been a very, very good well. With more and more folks having well dugs for irrigation, etc., is it safe to say that one should be concerned about "their" stream slowly being over pumped??? Or is there plenty of water beneath the Earth's surface, which is to say it is rare for streams ................. at least a 30 year old stream .............. to go dry???
    Underground streams and reservoirs are not an unlimited supply. With enough people pulling water out, they will go dry. Some can recharge quickly, others take years or even decades to recover. So checking the water level regularly will tell you if your supply is getting low.

The problem is not the limited water supply, global warming, or running out of oil. The problem is too many people for the earth to sustain. Overpopulation is our number one problem and yet nobody wants to talk about that. We can conserve water and energy. We can reduce our need for oil imports. We can even reduce CO2 emissions. But if we don't start reducing the population of the world, nothing else will matter.

Valveman,

You're correct; there's way too many people on this Earth competing for a limited supply of water ............... or whatever else. However, that's really what I did not want to hear, but deep within, my gut was saying otherwise. I will do more investigating, but I do believe the real issue is the water level in our well has dropped. And if this is the real issue, I just hope it doesn't continue to drop until it falls below the pump intake. Thanks for bringing this fact to my attention, otherwise I may have just replaced the pump thinking it was old and about worn out. As mentioned, I will do more investigating and will let you folks know what I find. Thanks for all of the help!

PS: I couldn't help but notice that one of our neighbors about 5 doors down is in the process of putting in a well. My luck will be it ends up in the same stream that now serves me!

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    TDR = Time Domain Reflectometer

An acoustic pulse is sent down the casing and the time measured for the echo returned. It will tell you how far it is down to the water.

http://www.enoscientific.com/well-sounder-PRO.htm

LL, I have a question for you regarding the well-sounder:

As stated earlier our pump hangs about 140 feet from the surface. If I can remember correctly, about every 30 or 40 feet there is a plastic well centering device installed. This supposedly keeps the pipe and pump from hitting the walls of the casing as it turns on and off. Will the well-sounder device "see" past the well centering devices or will they cause issues for this particular test???

The well sounder can usually see past torque arrestors and cable guards. However, as you said, these are to keep the wire from slapping against the casing as the pump turns on and off. So if you use a CSV, which won’t let the pump cycle on and off all the time, you don’t need torque arrestors or cable guards. Both of these things are just foreign devices that can cause the pump to get stuck and not come out of the well when needed.

What the well sounder cannot usually see is the difference between the actual water level and the level of falling water. If your well is cased to 150’, but the last 40’ is perforated casing, you might get a false reading. If the water level is at 140’, but the water is falling into the well from the perforated casing at 110’, a well sounder might pick up the level the water is falling from, instead of the actual water level.

That is why I like ” poly tubing taped beside the wire all the way down to the pump. Then a tee up top with a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge will tell you the positive water level. This method does not pick up the cascading or falling water level.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    That is why I like poly tubing taped beside the wire all the way down to the pump. Then a tee up top with a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge will tell you the positive water level. This method does not pick up the cascading or falling water level.
    I just priced a TDR for my own use. First the price is very steep ............... at least for me. And, then what you stated about false readings has me concerned also. You're exactly right about our well. It is 145 feet deep with the last two 20 foot sections being the perforated pipe.

Please tell me more about how your setup works. It appears the price would be very reasonable. Can you offer any drawings, specifications, etc. I would like to give this setup a try!!!!

The way it works is you pump air into the 1/4" tube through the Schrader valve and then read the pressure on the gauge. Using the formula of .43 PSI per foot, the max air pressure you can achieve will tell you how many feet of water there is above the pump.

The downside is that you have to pull up the pump to get the poly down the hole.

Thanks LL

Based on what you described, tell me if this sounds correct:

1- I pull the pump and run a 1/4" poly tubing alongside the pump piping from the top of the well casing all the way down to the side of the pump very near the pump intake.
    2- At the top, just outside the well seal, I install a "T" with a schrader valve and pressure gauge
    3- Whenever I wish to take a reading, I simply add air to the schrader valve and read the highest value achieved
    4- If the water level were only 2 feet above the pump intake, I should get a reading of .43 x 2 OR .86 PSI

My only concern is will it be difficult to get accurate readings if the water level truly runs this low??? If I am truly running low in water at times, I want to be able to determine this fairly accurately.

The accuracy will of course depend on the pressure gauge. With 28 feet of head, the max should be around 12 PSI so you wouldn't want to use a 0-100 gauge with a +/- of 2%.

You can see 1 PSI on a 0-100 pressure gauge. But like LL said, it would be much easier to see with a 0-30 PSI gauge.

Thanks to the both of you. I do believe this would be a much more affordable alternative. I will look into getting my parts together this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any of you guys ever used a gauge that read directly in ft of water? I've seen some with inches of H20.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Sounds like a vacuum gauge

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Sounds like a vacuum gauge
    You maybe could use a vacuum gauge.

But they normally read HG, Mercury.

The one the Main Man was talking about reads H2O.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

If you want to read down to the last few inches, you could just have an open end on the pipe and blow with your lungs. I doubt you could blow more than 2 PSI.