Kitchen sink sprayer problem!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Nards01

Reaction score
I have single handle faucet with a separate sprayer on the right side of the sink. Until recently, when I used the sprayer the faucet water shut off as it should. Now, when I use the sprayer there is less spray pressure and the faucet runs. How can I correct this - new sprayer??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a diverter, and it may have some crud caught in it so it no longer seals to redirect the water to the sprayer. Depends on the brand where it is and how best to resolve the problem. Need the brand and ideally model number, but a picture may help one of the pros to identify the problem. Many of those fixtures have a lifetime warranty, and you can call the manufacturer for free replacement parts.

Nards01

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of it!!

I don't know the brand or model number. It is in a rental unit of mine and was there before I bought the place 7 years ago. But, here are some pictures of it. At least I know it isn't a Moen - no cartridge.

craig 001.jpgcraig 003.jpgcraig 002.jpgcraig 004.jpgcraig 005.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Its a Delta. LOL

The diverter is in your last pic,the white plastic piece with the brass plunger. It also should have a rubber seal on the end....its common for that to come off when you remove the diverter and stay inside the faucet. Use a pick to remove it. Use some needle nose pliers to remove the diverter from the faucet body.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
While you've got it apart, you may want to check and maybe replace the o-rings throughout. Lube them up with some silicon plumber's grease and it'll feel like new. Plus, it makes putting things back together easier.

BTW, if you look at your pictures, it says DELTA right on the base of the faucet!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
In your 4th pic you can also see part of the diverter in hole while looking down into the top of the faucet with the ball removed. Use a small screwdriver inside that hole to pop the diverter out,thats the easiest way. Be sure to get the rubber seal that usually comes off of the diverter in the body of the valve.

Nards01

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. I'm going to fix in the next couple of days. It seems like an easy fix but I'll let you know how it went.

Mliu

Reaction score
Lube them up with some silicon plumber's grease and it'll feel like new.
I once repaired a unit similar to the one pictured. I put a very thin film of plumber's grease on the o-rings so it would operate smoothly. It did, but the grease made the water taste awful. :(

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I once repaired a unit similar to the one pictured. I put a very thin film of plumber's grease on the o-rings so it would operate smoothly. It did, but the grease made the water taste awful. :(

Plumber's grease comes in many varieties, petroleum based and silicon based. I've not had trouble with silicon based stuff, but then I've not repaired all that many.

Mliu

Reaction score
I don't recall the type of grease I used. But I do know it was specifically plumber's grease, so I had expected it to be tasteless and odorless. But you are probably right about it having been petroleum-based and not silicone-based. I guess the type I had was better suited for bath & shower valves, than for kitchen and lavatory faucets.

Nards01

Reaction score
Got the diverter free from Delta. Replaced it easily and used silicone-based plumbers grease when reassembling everything. Works like new now. Thanks for all you help even the smart@#$!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I was going to ask if you were REALLY going to order it from the Internet and pay shipping instead of going to the local HD or Ace hardware store. I hope you completely rebuilt the faucet after taking it all apart to get to the diverter.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is typically sold as "plumbers grease" is for METAL parts, like faucet thread, gate valve stems, bonnet nut threads, etc. Also good for cloth impregnated stem packing, thread packing, etc. It is petroleum based, is not guaranteed to be tasteless, and is harmful to some of the rubbers used in faucets these days.

The preferred grease now is silicone grease.

Thomas McKeon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a similar delta with same diverter. I replaced sprayer head and diverter twice! I still have water coming out of the faucet and sprayer (both low pressure) when sprayer head is activated. Faucet works fine (good pressure until I use sprayer) What am I missing? Thanks, Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks