Toilet Flange Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

ak99588

Reaction score
I am working on replacing a leaking toilet and need some advice on getting a good water-tight seal. The flange is sitting 1/4"-1/2" below the vinyl and underlayment, which is what may have caused the leaking. I have a new wax ring-Harvey's No. 10 with extra-thick wax. Are there extensions I can get to install on top of the flange to raise it to floor level before seating the new toilet? I am REALLY hoping to avoid another leaking problem!

Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many choices...the best would be to reset the flange to on top of the finished floor. Then, yes, there are flange extenders. There are also some waxless seals that have a funnel like piece that would take care of that (Fluidmaster and Fernco are two brands). Or, you could use two wax rings, one with a funnel, one without. The one with the funnel on top so the funnel helps keep the bottom one centered and so it can't smush into the drain to create a blockage. Normally, a single one with a funnel can be more problems than it solves, but when things are low, it can help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks