Toilet slow to drain, backing up into tub..

Users who are viewing this thread

Skunkworks

Reaction score
Hello,

In the basement of a house I have a toilet that all of a sudden seems to be slow(er) to drain, when it does the water seems to slowly stop draining before it should.. then stops and gargles and glugs when it's about 80-90% drained. Also after a bunch of flushes or a long shower will start to gargle and attempt to back up into the bath tub, the water comes up the drain of the tub but seems to almost always stop 1/4 from spilling into the tub.

The toilet line has been snaked three times with a rented snake from home depot. 25/50/75' most likely this one http://*********rents.com/diyTools/rooter_100.asp?cm_sp=tool_rental-_-overlayE-_-easy_rooter or something close ( only 75' though) I have been at work when this is being done.

Whatever the issue is it has gotten better, at one point once flushed the water would just start seeping out from under the toilet, this rarely happens now. If it does it isn't a lot of water. The wax ring was replaced once..

Any advice would be great... this is becoming irritating.

Thanks!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Your building drain and or sewer is clogged. You also need to replace the waxseal again. Call a professional and have them clean the drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stuff you rent isn't big enough for the job. Professional equipment is too dangerous for a novice to use. Get a real plumber to auger the drain. Forget about companies with Rooter in their names, they are generally not that good.

Skunkworks

Reaction score
Though so, either that or something stuck in the toilet its self.. The last one what he rented was electric and on a dolly. From the home depot website I doubt it was even an 1" in size. ( This is the landlord)

A while ago I used a local guy "Sam Harb" for a previous issue in another drain, seemed decent. Will probably call again for this is I can..

Just because I've been reading, what sizes would/should they use?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he is renting his equipment from HD, he ain't no plumber, he's a handyman. The professional equipment is not rented because if the operator does not have the skill to operate it, it can literally tear hands or arms off, and even kill. They are powerful and expensive tools and no rental company would risk the liability lawsuits than could result from injuries, nor would they risk the damage to the equipment from improper use. Sam didn't get the job done the first time, why call him again?

Skunkworks

Reaction score
Edited my last post, worded it wrong. Sam was good. the person that has tried three times was the owner..

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If he is renting his equipment from HD, he ain't no plumber, he's a handyman. The professional equipment is not rented because if the operator does not have the skill to operate it, it can literally tear hands or arms off, and even kill. They are powerful and expensive tools and no rental company would risk the liability lawsuits than could result from injuries, nor would they risk the damage to the equipment from improper use. Sam didn't get the job done the first time, why call him again?

You can rent sewer machines. I have a hand crank machine that my helper cut his finger off ...tension built in the machine and it started back spinning....he attempted to stop it. Bad move. It was hanging by the skin on just one side.

But sure you can rent machines big enough to clear the drain.....and big enough to hurt ya or kill ya if you make a mistake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks