Electrical Wiring Capacity / HEAT

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
OK. Boxes have max capacity fill, conduit, etc.

What about MC/AC wire. Is the *clad* good enough on how much *capacity* the wire inside needs.

I plan to put a 4" square box on a wall that has been mudded/rocked over.
It's roughly 1 1/4"+ in depth so to make this fairly seamless, I plan to channel out the wall, run the BX in the channel and then plaster the BX in place. I plan to take a chipping hammer and chip out the area where the box will be so it sits flush with the wall (poured concrete wall).

Is is ~okay~ to bury the wire in plaster ?
Or does it need room/air around it.

michielsemma

Reaction score
Breaker needs to be a 40 amp and wire needs to be 8 AWG. A 30 amp breaker will nuisance trip on hard starts. Full load amps is when it's running at full capacity. Starting current is a lot higher than FLA.

Check to see what size the main wires are on the unit where you are supposed to make your connection from the breaker panel. If the wires are bigger than 10awg or add up to be bigger than 10awg then you cannot use a 30 amp breaker.

Look for a rating of minimum circuit ampacity on the unit as well.

Your fuses or breakers are designed to protect the wiring in your home from short circuits and overheating and starting a fire. They are not designed to protect your appliances. You cannot legally run a 10awg wire to a 50 amp breaker.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Breaker needs to be a 40 amp and wire needs to be 8 AWG. A 30 amp breaker will nuisance trip on hard starts. Full load amps is when it's running at full capacity. Starting current is a lot higher than FLA.

Check to see what size the main wires are on the unit where you are supposed to make your connection from the breaker panel. If the wires are bigger than 10awg or add up to be bigger than 10awg then you cannot use a 30 amp breaker.

Look for a rating of minimum circuit ampacity on the unit as well.

Your fuses or breakers are designed to protect the wiring in your home from short circuits and overheating and starting a fire. They are not designed to protect your appliances. You cannot legally run a 10awg wire to a 50 amp breaker.
And what does that have to do with ChefWong's question anyway? he never mentioned the load as far as I can see.:rolleyes:

As jerome said, just a copy and paste job from you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks