Gravity septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

Suthnr

Reaction score
So i just got into my new house and for some reason my master toilet keeps backin up!! I had it snaked and worked fine for about half a day, so i got a new one and put it in an im still havin probs! I looked in the insp port outside yesterday and no water was backed up and it rained real bad yesterdayand today so can that cause a toilet to get backed up?? It is only my master toilet i need help thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you had it snaked and it still backed up, WHY did you replace the toilet instead of calling the "snaker" back? IF it were a toilet problem, which would NOT have taken a day and a half to happen again, that would be the easiest thing to correct. If it is drain line problem, then it was NOT snaked properly in the first place. There are problems which can cause a single toilet to not operate, but have NOTHING to do with that toilet.

Suthnr

Reaction score
Snake it?

Is there a snake that can go all the way to the septic? When whoever had the house before me put it all in he never leveled the ground so it has standin water on the septic and all the lines. I dug trenches yesterday to c if it would help, can that cause a prob as well?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain line to the septic should be essentially dry (well, it will be damp) unless something is draining into it at the time. To achieve this, it must slope downwards with no flat spots or dips all the way to the tank. Yes, standing water in the drain line is a problem, and you need to correct that. What can be a major problem is if the septic tank is higher than your lowest line going into it or there's not enough height offset to allow you to maintain the required minimum slope (depends on the size of the line, but most like at least 1/4" per foot - large lines can work with less). If that's the case, you will need to add a basin and an ejector pump. But even then you want gravity to help as much as possible and the line should not have any low points to collect crud.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
My idiot snaker guy rammed all the crud just to within 4" of the tank tee, and announced that the tank was plugged.

His snake and brain was too short - opened the tank with the pumper there and stuck a stick in the pipe and got a big shower of crud. Pumped it anyway, but didnt really need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks