soft water to toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
While a friend and I were talking about hard water and softeners it came up that he does not soften the watter to his toilet. He figures it is cheaper to replace the valve every year or so than it is to flush soft water down the drain. He has very hard water. Mine is at 26 grain and I think his is worse than that! I am installing a softener soon and I am wondering if there is any reason to do the same. One other difference is he has a cheep toilet and I plan on putting in one of the TOTO brand toilets.

Thank-you

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Any time you can soften hard water it is better on all the fixtures. Your friends toilet can get buildup on the inside where you can't see it or easily deal with it eventualy causing problems.

Let the soft water go to your new toilet.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
justalurker said:
Main disadvantage ... none I see. Might cost a little more for salt to soften all the water but we only use one bag of KCl a month so we couldn't spend much less on that.

That's because I correctly sized his new softener, using the Clack WS-1 control valve, that he bought in Jul '04. And he uses a bit higher salt dose than I told him to, but he has to due to using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. But I agree with softening all the water IN the house and a tap by/at the garage for washing vehicles etc.. If possible, all other outside faucets should be plumbed with hard water unless there is iron in the water that will cause rust staining on lawn, plants, walks etc..

Careful with the use of KLC and plants, the manufacturer says it can cause problems. Remember you taught me that Steve.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
bnbhoha said:
I would like to measure my hard water grain. How can I do this? Thanks

You can buy test kits at hardware stores or on the web.

If you have city water, you can contact the treatment facility for that info.

You can also send off a sample of your water to be tested. Sears, among other sources, will do this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks