Best chemical root killer options in bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

S.Austin

Reaction score
first the situation: i have roots in kids bathtub drain. i have to snake through them 1-2month to get the tub draining. i hit the roots after approximately 18" from entering tub drainlever/ overflow? the tub is located in" practically" the center of a 2000 sq. ft. slab. we have had severe droughts in central texas recent yrs. and apparently these roots have traveled over 15" plus feet to find a water leak in tub drain. house was built in early 60's andtub drain is cast iron (im guessing at a faulty pipe union is where roots are penetrating)
..Yes, a proper fix would be to replace sections of damaged pipe and in a perfect world i would do that. however time and money are a factor. one estimate to repair pipe was over 1400 and that was with me doing all carpentry and slab repairs myself!!! so my question is what are my best chemical root killer options and how to apply it in this particular situation? directions on home depot root killer says have to enter it into system through toilet or" clean out". i believe neither approach would ever reach my root prob. and it also said to not enter it through tub. Recommendations? Solutions?? please help!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check out ROOT X
but this only sold by professional plumbers
using a car transmission funnel it could be poured though the overflow pipe and then add water a certain amount will foam back into bathtub but that should not hurt the tub !

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The sure killer is copper...such as the various root control products which ARE sold at hardware stores. There are some states where these products are not legal in sewer, so I don't know what you do then!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
the sure killer is copper...such as the various root control products which are sold at hardware stores. There are some states where these products are not legal in sewer, so i don't know what you do then!

the problem with copper or copper sulfate is it only runs on the bottom of the pipe and it runs down too fast to do any good

ROOT X on the other hand foams up to fill the whole pipe and stays in place as long as no water run though pipe after it is in pipe
because roots grow though the top and sides of the pipe not just the bottom of pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The root x treatment is used to give a one year warranty on sewer lines but what you really need is a plumber with both a mini jetter to clean the pipe
and also a mini camera that will go though that small of a drain,

that will show you exactly what needs to be done to seal pipe against roots, it may be possible to install a pipe lining in side pipe with very minimum digging

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
re: copper, I found this info:
State law prohibits the use of copper sulfate in sewage systems in the State of Connecticut and in the following counties of California:
Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano and Sonoma.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is possible that the roots are growing into the pipe somewhere else and traveling there. I once had a customer who had roots in the lavatory drain. I told him that the only way they could get there would be if the toilet was also plugged up. He said it was, but it had been for two years so far. The roots were 3" in diameter and had grown into the waste pipe, traveled up and then over to the sink drain.

S.Austin

Reaction score
finally got rootx! thanks for recommendation. how much of the 2lb mix should i put down the funnel? how much water to add afterward? remember i hit roots within 2' of entrance to bathtub overflow and resistance virtually gone 4' from entrance. additional/new info: i gained access to back of tub from under cabinet in other room. i see small roots 1/8" diameter on top of soil in the 12" x12" patch of dirt where pipe connections go under slab. not many roots but definetly roots! i was hope to use root x tomorrow on day off. any more advice/ recommendations appreciated. thanks again ; funnel i have is long and straight, do i need to buy a funnel with flexible tail or will what i have suffice?

Last edited:

D. Barnes

Reaction score
finally got rootx! thanks for recommendation. how much of the 2lb mix should i put down the funnel? how much water to add afterward? remember i hit roots within 2' of entrance to bathtub overflow and resistance virtually gone 4' from entrance. additional/new info: i gained access to back of tub from under cabinet in other room. i see small roots 1/8" diameter on top of soil in the 12" x12" patch of dirt where pipe connections go under slab. not many roots but definetly roots! i was hope to use root x tomorrow on day off. any more advice/ recommendations appreciated. thanks again ; funnel i have is long and straight, do i need to buy a funnel with flexible tail or will what i have suffice?

I too have a problem with roots in my bathtub drain. I talked to a rep from RootX about applying the chemical down the overflow tube as you suggested and he agreed that it would probably work. I was wondering how you finally applied the RootX. Did you use the long funnel? How much of the RootX were you able to put down the funnel? It seems to me the trap would stop you from pouring in the entire bottle. How did you pour in the water and was there a problem with the RootX foaming out of the overflow tube? Sure would appreciate knowing what to expect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks