Hansgrohe Lavatory Faucet Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My parents have a model #06673820 Hansgrohe Brushed Nickel Interaktiv Monsoon 4"-8" Widespread Lav Faucet.

It is leaking from the cold side. After shutting off the supply stops, I tried to pop off the cap on the cold handle, but it would not pry off, no matter how much I tried. It actually looks like it might be a "dummy" cap. I looked around for a hidden set screw, but could not find a set screw anywhere on or near the handle. I tried unscrewing the bonnet below the handle, but it was more than hand-tight and I didn't want to mar the surface by using a channel locks. I tried a strap wrench, but to no avail.

How the heck does that handle come apart, so I can replace the leaky ceramic disc inside?

Attachments

• HansGrohe Lav Faucet.jpg
    HansGrohe Lav Faucet.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,489

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The bonnets should unscrew. Whether the handles are attached to them or not, I am not sure, but they might be. Especially since you do not see any set screws and you cannot remove the caps.

HGTech

HansGrohe
Reaction score
Website
www.hansgrohe-usa.com
There is no hidden set screw or cap to pop off. The bell shaped portion of the handle will turn counter clockwise from the counter top and the handle will lift off as one unit. You may need a rubber glove or jar opener for grip. Once the handle is removed you will see the hex head of the ceramic cartridge. The cartridge will unthread counter clockwise as well using an adjustable wrench. If you need any further assistance feel free to call us at 1-800-334-0455 and press #2 for Tech Services. We will be happy to help in any way.

Kiko

Reaction score
Thanks HJ and HGTech!

HGTech, I did call that tech support number earlier today, and the HG tech I talked with said that the cap should pop off using a pen knife, revealing a recessed screw, and that the bell-shaped part should not be removed. But I think she gave me bogus information.

My parents also have a Hansgrohe shower Model #06624000 Thermobalance III, which is malfunctioning. They can no longer adjust the hot and cold water. It is not leaking, but that same tech recommended that I purchase a new $80 cartridge.

Is there some way of adjusting that thermostatic cartridge, instead of replacing it?
Cartridge part #94282000

Last edited:

Kiko

Reaction score
Success!

Well, it wasn't easy, but I was able to replace that leaky lavatory faucet cartridge.

The rubber jar opener was crucial in getting the bell-shaped bonnet to unscrew. I had to use it under my channel locks, because it was frozen on pretty well. But I only marred the finish slightly, where it bit through the rubber.

The cartridge turned out to be the real bear, because it was engulfed in corrosion and wouldn't budge. I soaked it with PB Blaster, and using a wrench and a counter-wrench, I was able to remove the bugger.

I used a wire brush to clean the corrosion from all the threads that needed to be reused.

As for the shower cartridge, I called the HG tech service line again, and this person said that a good cleaning might be all that's necessary to get that hydrostatic cartridge working again. So, I will give that a try.

David e Dibb

Reaction score
This was very helpful. I am having the same problem removing the cartridge. How did you get the counter-wrench attached? Did you have to take the faucet off and remove the coveer plate?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks