Remodeling around cast iron toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi folks -

I'm on a project where the homeowner had a tiled bathroom floor that "crunched". The floor was over a 6" high dirt crawl space. I ended up taking out everything down to the floor joists. The extent of the demolition is in the pic below.

During the demo phase, I removed 4 hex-head "screws" from the toilet flange, thinking they anchored the flange to the subfloor. Turns out they were bolts and washers, not screws, and they weren't anchoring the flange at all. Are they for a compression-type cast iron flange? If so, can I just re-tighten the bolts, or did I compromise the flange by removing them?

Also - I don't see any holes in the flange for screwing it to the subfloor. Is this possible or am I just not seeing them? Do cast iron flanges need to be screwed down or are they solid enough that they stand on their own?

Thanks

082.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A cast-iron flange that is set into a cast-iron pipe with lead and oakum will normally be fine without being attached to the subfloor. Any flange should be install on top of the finished floor, not directly to the subfloor. I would get a new flange and install it properly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your description, it appears that you have a compression flange. Whether it is reusable or not is something we cannot decide without actually seeing it. Whether a cast iron flange needs anchoring or not depends on how the closet bend is attached to the piping, but a compression flange might not be sturdy enough without screw anchors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks