nasty old rusting nails

Users who are viewing this thread

dunstergirl

Reaction score
Renovating the bathroom. Have the old fake tile out and drywall, down to studs and the tub, which has finishing nails (rusting) holding the tub flange to the wall (as if). Can I take these out? Does a tub actually need those? As they are all sticking out a bit and seem to be adding no structural value whatsoever.

TY for advice.
Lelani

dunstergirl

Reaction score
Only because I want to give the tub a thorough clean before installing new cement backer board around it and then tiling - worried about old rusty nails that maybe don't need to be there...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It used to be common to use large head galv. roofing nails. I like coated deck screw with a 3/8" diameter SS flat washer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What kind of tub is it? That would normally only be done with an enameled steel or plastic tub. Either of which should be replaced if you have gone to the trouble of removing the walls already.

dunstergirl

Reaction score
It appears to be an enameled steel tub. I REALLY don't want to replace it, as it is in good condition, except a wee bit of rust in a couple of spots on the side and flange (won't be visible). BUT, just so I know, what's a lifespan on those things? This one is ~20 years old.

Long side of tub is on an outside wall, so 6 mil poly over the insulation - I am redoing the poly and possibly the insulation, tho things look pretty good back there. Thought I'd just do the 6 mil poly on the side walls as well, which never HAD a vapor barrier before.

Then yes, cement board (I have Hardiebacker only because that's what the local hardware store sold), tape and thinset mortar in seams, and then, ultimately, tile.

What are these window things of which you speak? The holes in the tub flange are tiny, but I suppose I could enlarge them.

I am in the middle of nowhere, far from Vancouver, but we will make trek to Kamloops for the tile so I could get other things I need at that point.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Lelani

dunstergirl

Reaction score
Tub would be almost impossible to get out without wrecking another wall, tho it could be done. But I can't find any steel tubs in grey (the colour scheme) and DON'T want acrylic. Is there anything I could do to the few tiny rust patches to extend its life? As I said, none will be visible (once renovated), just corners of the flange. Tub body is in awesome shape. I was thinking naval jelly or some other rust eater, bit of wire brush, maybe rustoleum over that? Thoughts welcome.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Steel tubs are on the low end of the totum pole and you're lucky you got 20-years out of it.

dunstergirl

Reaction score
K so what is the high end? I am bowing to the inevitable and thinking yes should replace tub, as I want this whole effort to last forever (at least until I die or sell the house). But I really want grey, not white, nothing fancy just your basic 5' x 30" tub (that is all that will fit) and NOT acrylic, that just seems lame. Any suppliers in western Canada that have that? I have also left a message with my neighbour/plumber and hope to talk to him soon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; BUT, just so I know, what's a lifespan on those things? This one is ~20 years old.

Actually, a steel tub starts deteriorating almost as soon as it is installed, because it is basically paint over metal. If you were to remove the drain and overflow fittings you might find the openings severely rusted. Those locations are where most steel tubs fail, unless something damages the coating to expose the metal. Cast iron tubs are best, followed by American Standard's Americast.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It appears to be an enameled steel tub. I REALLY don't want to replace it, as it is in good condition, except a wee bit of rust in a couple of spots on the side and flange (won't be visible). BUT, just so I know, what's a lifespan on those things? This one is ~20 years old.

Lelani

Well, if you look more closely, it is very unlikely that your 20 year old tub is in "good condition" . The enamel surface will have lost some of its sheen, depending on how often it has been scrubbed. And we would be shocked if there is not cancer at least beginning, around the drain and overflows. If you expect another 20 years from this remodel job, you simply can not count on that tub.

AND,,,,,this is just my opinion....there is only one color choice: white. Let your tile work and accessories deal with colors, but the porcelains should be white. Ask the folks who fell in love with pink tubs and avocado refrigerators

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
20 years ago was 1992. Depending on the ACTUAL condition of the tub I might would keep it. No one can simply say its 20 years old and it needs to be replaced and be accurate in every case.

I've replaced the drain on steel tubs that are 40 years + old without issues. Depends on the quality of the steel tub and how much use/care the tub has had.

But sure replace it if you want.......I dont mind you spending your money. Infact...replace it. See how easy it is for me to say that?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's my take on this problem. You already into a major job both for the amount of work and the expense involved. I would replace the old tub now while you have the demo on the room done. I have bone finish on my bathroom fixture, and that's working OK. However, if I was doing a complete remodel, I go to white. You could do that now, and I assure you no one would really notice. Actually, the worst part of replacing the tub is not removing the old, but getting the new one in place. You can take the old one out in pieces, but that doesn't work too well for getting the new one in. Perhaps your room layout is such that this won't be a problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you take the old one out in ONE piece, then you will know how to get the new one in, in one piece. A steel tub is so light that there should be no problem removing it intact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks