9 1/2 rough in (yes I have read every existing thread on short rough-ins)

Users who are viewing this thread

redkev

Reaction score
My plumber made a serious mistake in a new slab floor bathroom. The bathroom in nearly complete, floor tile installed wall tile complete etc. He left me with a 9 1/2 inch rough in. I have already read every thread on this site on 10 inch or less rough ins and have the options narrowed down to the following two Toto toilets.

Terry states that the Drake listed below can be squeezed into a 9 1/4 rough in so i am leaning toward the Drake. However, Ms. Redkev prefers the styling of the Aquia.

Terry or anyone else, Do you think the Aquia can be squeezed in to a 9 1/2" rough in?

Toto CST412MF.10 Aquia
Toto CST744EF.10 Drake

The other option is to force the plumber to correct his mistake which includes some demolition of the floor tile and the installation of an offset toilet flange. I prefer not to do this although I may regret that decision in the future.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The other option is to force the plumber to correct his mistake which includes some demolition of the floor tile and the installation of an offset toilet flange.

Correction. It involves HIM doing some demolition work, installing the opening at the correct location, (without an offset flange), and then paying your tile company to repair the floor. It is NOT your problem, it is his. I cannot imagine HOW the project got to this stage and NOBODY questioned where the opening was located relative to the walls.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj's way costs hundreds of dollars more and lost days.
Or someone can upgrade $50.00 more and be done with it.

In a lower price range, you can also get a Cadet 3 with 10" tank.

Last edited:

redkev

Reaction score
Thanks both of you. I agree that ideally the general contractor (that's why I hired him instead of supervising the work myself) should have caught the mistake. The plumber is not very good. Unfortunately, my preferred plumbing company was unavailable to do the work and I went with the company recommended by my GC.

Since were are 6 weeks behind on the completion of this project and I am leaving on an extended business trip, we will purchase and install the Toto Aquia today and work out some financial settlement with the GC.

I greatly appreciate both of your responses and given other circumstances, I may have chosen a different solution.

Thanks again.

Redkev

Last edited:

mkhaz

Reaction score
Wow, awesome forum! Very helpful. I decided to purchase a Toto after doing some research on this forum, but thought I'd pull the old toilet today to do some discovery first. I found what appears to be a 9 1/4" rough-in. See photo. It is mentioned above that the Vespin II, Aquia, and Drake will fit a 9 1/2" rough-in using the uni-fit. Would I be able to make one of these models work using the unifit with a 9 1/4" rough-in? I'd be willing to remove a portion of the baseboard if necessary to gain an additional 1/4". The picture does not show it well, but this is an off-set flange. Does the offset present an issue when using one of these models?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_1025 (1024x768).jpg

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Rough-in is measured from the finished wall surface, NOT the baseboard, so you probably have a 10-inch rough-in.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I was about to ask the question when you posted the photo! You don't measure from the baseboard. The rough in is probably very close to exactly 10"

mkhaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It's a relief that I do not have an odd sized rough-in. A newbie mistake in measuring!

I believe I'll use the Drake CST744EF.10

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks