Bolt-up shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Does anyone make a drain for an acrylic shower base that bolts up like a garbage disposal? some type of arrangement with screws and a collar?

Existing shower base, I have access from below but not enough clearance to tighten the normal 3" nut in place.

I am aware of the Wingtite but prefer a more conventional drain with the rubber sleeve and castle nut connection to the drain pipe. Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.

If it has a gasket, the gasket belongs on the BOTTOM of the shower and you still need silicone, or putty, between the flange and the shower base.

wingtite-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
HJ, I see the Sioux unit above can be used with either putty or a gasket (top side). I'm OK with either, just don't want silicone because I don't want to glue the flange to the acrylic base. I want to have it easily serviceable.

jackrabbit-09.jpg

Sioux Chief JackRabbit shower drain

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not worry about a shower drain being "easily serviceable". If it doesn't last the life of the shower, there will be nothing easy about THAT!

jackrabbit-07.jpg

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Jimbo, not so sure about that. The existing unit is about 15 yrs old and just started leaking. Regular ABS no-caulk drain with the big hex nut. Appears that leak was caused by the nut loosening from repeated flexing of the shower floor (base) over the years. Fortunately it used a gasket on top so it came out easily. I'll fix the floor flexing but still want to give myself a plan B ;)

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
OK, after further research I found an even better drain than the SiouxChief. The Davke 3000:

Same idea, but also available in a no-hub so you can connect with a Fernco, which will allow a little flex in the system. This should accommodate minor movement of the shower floor without stressing the parts.

jackrabbit-14.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks