Moen 3330 / 3320 valve instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

teah2006

Reaction score
I have the moen 3330 valve and the plaster plate was not set flush with my marble shower surround. My problem is the installers of marble surround threw away my plaster plate and I have no sure way of knowing the correct placement of valve. I need to know if someone can give some help. I have called moen and they are unable to give me any help. I tried to order face plate but they told me it would at least two weeks before they had any and I really need to get valve set before then if possible. I would appreciate it if someone could give some dimensions or other suggestions.

moen_3330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is some allowance in the valve. I would try installing your trim and see if it works as is.

moen_3330_2.jpg

Parts breakdown

moen_3330_3.jpg

This picture says thin wall but it gives you an idea of what is projecting from the finish wall too.

moen_3330_4.jpg

The upper diverter

The transfer cartridge is 116719
The mixing cartridge is 1225

moen-3320-parts.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One way would be to install all the trim. Then if you know the composition of the finished wall..., e.g. 1/2 cement board, 1/4" tile, 1/16" mortar...that will take you back to the plane the valve should be mounted at. The plaster ground probably allows 5/8" wiggle room, but we do hear complaints from people if the valve is mounted too far out...they say the handles look funny. Too far IN, the handles will stick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I think you have confused me. IF the marble is already set, then the valve's position should be fixed, and all you have to do is install the trim pieces. In fact, at this point, that may be ALL you can do. If the plaster ground was not flush with the marble, then it could be too shallow or too deep for your trim. If it is too shallow, you are out of luck, if it is too deep, you can get a 1" extension kit.

teah2006

Reaction score
moen 3330 valve

sorry I confused you. i have access from closet. If I had my plaster plate I could unsolder the valve and reposition the valve. my problem is that the company installing marble threw the plaster plate away. I didn't realize until it was too late. I thought maybe some one may be able to give advise on how to reposition the valve without the plaster plate.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Even with the plaster guard, it might not be where you want it. The distance the knobs stick out is much a matter of aesthetics and everyone has a different opinion as to how much is too much.

If you REALLY want the plaster guard, go buy another valve and then return it when you are done.

teah2006

Reaction score
thank you I may try the aesthetics and then if still not satisfied your idea on buying another valve and then returning the valve is a idea that i've never considered. I'll let you know how things work out. I'm open for any new ideas. Moen

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am working on a job where another company installed the Moen valves then tossed the plaster guards. At that point they were useless anyway, except to make sure the tile company made the holes large enough. When I got there, it looked like they were installed too deep, so I tried the trim on the valves to see if they would fit. Most of them did, but one is marginal so I won't know if I will need an extension until the tile is finished. Install the trim and see if there is a problem.

teah2006

Reaction score
I tried installing the trim and that's when I started looking at the way valve was installed. I couldn't fine trim plate and I called the company who installed marble. I talked to the installer and he informed me he had thrown it away at their shop. The garbage had been picked up the Friday afternoon they finished installation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you have a thinwall installation, once the valve's position is set, there's no reason to keep the plaster guard.

As already said...if the trim will fit and tighten up, it should be okay (but you may not like the way it looks). If it sits too far into the wall, then you either need to move it forward or buy the extension kit (if one is available for that valve).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I couldn't fine trim plate and I called the company who installed marble. I talked to the installer and he informed me he had thrown it away at their shop.

The trim plate is the chrome ring. If he threw it away he needs to get you a new one because it is part of the valve and you cannot finish it without the ring. You say you "tried installing the trim". What happened then? Did it, or did it not, fit. If not then I hope it is too deep in the wall so the installer can GIVE you the necessary extensions. If it is too shallow then the valve has to be moved. So far you have NOT told us anything about how the trim fits or if you have it all, so we cannot tell you what, if anything, you have to do.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks