Electric WH T&P Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

gpdewitt

Reaction score
I want to install an electric water heater in an interior closet. Code requires a T&P valve discharging to a drain but there is no drain available and it's a long way to the outside of the building. Is there an electric water heater equivalent to the Watts 210 valve for gas water heaters?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If no permit I would discharge into a 30 gallon steel container with a hole in the lid. I have never had a run away electric water heater in all my years, and most drips are just bad valves. For that matter you could set another "open" water heater next to it and discharge into the cold inlet. I see 40 gallon rigs for $199 now, and thats the cost of a few good garbage cans.

That also gives you your next water heater ready to go.

Running a pipe is a better idea, of course. And legal, if you care.

gpdewitt

Reaction score
Thanks, Ballvalve. I do care about legal. I've never heard of a runaway electric WH either. I've also been told there is safety circuitry built into them that prevents it. Still, the manufacturers and the code people must think there is a need for T&P valve, they both require it. I looked all over for an equivalent to the Watts 210 but for electric, seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make. Can't find one anywhere. Unless someone else has info on one, I'm going to conclude they don't exist.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Both gas and electric water heaters have a high limit ECO. (energy cut off).

If you care about it being legal then I suggest either calling a licensed plumber and or your local plumbing inspector about the legal installation of an electric water heater in a location that has no suitable drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've also been told there is safety circuitry built into them that prevents it.

When the water heaters started to come with ECOs, the plumbing codes in the Southern states believed the statement that it made heaters as safe as light bulbs so they did NOT require T&P valves. Subsequently, Domestic Engineering magazine had articles EVERY week about them exploding and destroying homes, AND people. One particularly disturbing one was a teenager who was sleeping on the other side of the wall when the heater exploded and decapitated him. Electric heaters DO go wild, and yours might be one that does it. How long do you think it would take a 3/4" pipe under full pressure to fill a 30 gallon barrel OR even a 40 gallon "empty" water heater? When first fill a heater it only takes a matter of minutes to fill it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
most all of those are fires, usually gas related. I would try and always avoid a gas water heater IN the home.

No one suggests this guy not use a relief valve, its just about where to go with it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Unless the water heater is on the 2nd floor, I can't imagine why running a drain line would be such a problem.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would install the water heater in a pan without a drain. Pipe it to a wags valve positioned in the pan. I would install the water heaters relief line into the pan. I would install another T&P valve at a lower operating set point at a higher elevation so I could install a gravity drain to the outside.

Of course after pre approval from the plumbing inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks