Toilet rough in question

Users who are viewing this thread

Fantom

Reaction score
I am installing tile in a bathroom with a concrete floor. I know I have to adjust the toilet flange height so that the it is on the finished floor (new tile). The old flange was rusted anyway and I got it off and chipped away at the 3" pvc coupling and broke off a peice about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of the main 3" pipe. How far below the finished floor or subfloor (concrete in this case), should the 3 inch pipe reach?

I am trying to avoid a splice (addng 3" to 3") since it's concrete I am working with..... .

Please reply pros'

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure if I have the correct picture of what you have, but let's see if this fits. If I read it correctly, you are saying your old flange fit inside the 3" coupling and you then broke a piece out of the pipe below that coupling. I can appreciate that you don't want to have to break out more concrete than necessary, but I believe you will have to because flanges don't extend far enough down. The broken pipe needs to be cut off level and a new coupler installed. Then a short length of pipe added to the coupler and the new flange fit on the outside of that piece. Do not even consider the inside fitting flange for 3" pipe. The exact length of that pipe is cut to fit the space, making sure the flange rests on top of the finished floor. You have two fairly difficult jobs to do. First, chipping out the concrete without damaging the pipe. It can be done with hammer and chisel, but easier with a small rotary hammer. The next task is cutting the pipe. Plumbers have the tools to cut a pipe from the inside, piece of cake if you have the tool. Don't know if you can rent one or not. You also might use a Dremel type tool. The remaining pipe will have to be cleaned pretty well to get the new coupler on. The new flange should be the kind that has a stainless steel ring. Avoid the all plastic ones, they can break. Stay tuned, some of the pros with more experience that I have may chime in with some better suggestions.

Fantom

Reaction score
IMG00048-20120314-1656.jpg

This is the issue that I am dealing with - thanks Terry for the quick reply... .

Fantom

Reaction score
Terry the distance from the top of the pipe to the unfinished floor is 3/4" so to the finished floor with 3/8 tile thickness plus thinset - add a 1/2" = 1 1/4". I thought to use and an inside pipe cutter to cut 1/2" off because of the piece that chipped off (to the right in the picture). Adding that to the 1 1/4" gives me 1 3/4" to the finsihed floor.

The 3' pipe is 3 1/2 " long from where it goes into the fitting below it. I am going to go to the plumbing supply place and see if they have a longer flange to reach down there. I am trying not to reduce the inside diameter fo the 3" pipe by using one that sticks down inside of it.

Hope this helps... .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think whatever you end up doing, you're going to have to chip out some more concrete and/or soil to get access to the outside of the pipe so you can keep dirt and crud from getting in while working on it. Chipping off a coupling probably also lead to a messy piece of pipe that may not seal well, either.

Then, you have a choice, if the riser is long enough, you can cut it, add a coupling and a stub of pipe to then attach the new flange, or assuming there's a socket down there, pick up a tool designed to ream out the pipe from the socket, and then use a single piece of new pipe from the newly cleaned socket up to the socket of the new flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks