(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer valve replacement -- what type do I have here ?

Default Washing machine valve replacement -- what type do I have here ?

I am asking for some help to figure out what type of washing machine valve I have here.The valves are attached in line to the same small pipe that feeds the plastic laundry tub below it. I cannot quite tell where the valve pieces end and the pipe pieces begin. Not even sure if this is 3/4 or 1/2. Please see attached photo. My intent is to see if I can replace these myself without calling a plumber.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by berkeleydb; 03-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.

The valve ends where the thread ends. The copper pipe is inserted into the valve and soldered in place. Because of the proximity, I would unsolder the short pipe from the tee. You will need to remove the black insulation , and use wet rags wrapped just right around the ends of the tee to keep from unsoldering those connections.

Thanks for your reponse. If that's the case, and the threaded piece is part of the valve,
    then I would have to mess around with soldering. So maybe I'll just let the plumber do it,
    and maybe they'll come up with a better method than the one used decades ago when someone put this together.

But .... is there any possibility that the threaded part we can see in the photo is part of a double-threaded piece
    that is soldered onto the pipe that is soldered on to the Tee ?

If that's the case and that my valve (probably a boiler valve or washing machine valve) is just screwed on to
    the other side of the double-threaded pipe?

If that were the case, I might be able to try the unscrew the valve. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part ?

Nice try...but no chance!

Nope, what you have there is a couple of 1/2" boiler drain valves. They are normally ips threaded on the outside and machined inside to be soldered also. If they leak you can always replace the washers and the stem packings rather than replace them.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I was told that the the hot water is flowing to the washing machine at about 50 % and the cold at 80%. Not sure if replacing the washers/packings would help but maybe I'll give that a try. That would be a lot better than replacing the entire thing.
    Last edited by berkeleydb; 03-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.

The flow problem is more likely the strainer screens in the washer solenoid valve than it is the boiler drains. If you take the hoses off the back of the machine there will be a couple of screens inside where the hose screwed on. Take them out and either replace them or clean them. Then check the ends of the washer hoses because they sometimes have screens in them too.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    The flow problem is more likely the strainer screens in the washer solenoid valve than it is the boiler drains. If you take the hoses off the back of the machine there will be a couple of screens inside where the hose screwed on. Take them out and either replace them or clean them. Then check the ends of the washer hoses because they sometimes have screens in them too.
    I agree,I doubt the boiler drains are the problem.

Actually, the washing machine is new -- the guys who installed it told me about the faucet/valve problem. Sorry if I misspoke.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleydb View Post
    Actually, the washing machine is new -- the guys who installed it told me about the faucet/valve problem. Sorry if I misspoke.
    I would still remove the hoses and check. Both ends.

Default valve

A good plumber will remove the valves, then solder on female adapters, and screw the new valves into them so you do not have a problem with changing them in the future.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    A good plumber will remove the valves, then solder on female adapters, and screw the new valves into them so you do not have a problem with changing them in the future.
    To quote Sydney Poitier......AMEN.

The site was loading too slowly to bother going back and editing the first reply. But, since the photo is so vague, we cannot tell if they used new hoses, which they should have. But if not, the hoses themselves could have plugged screens where they connect to the faucets.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Yes, the washer hoses are new. It's the faucets that are the problem. they don't fully turn off or turn on.

I think I'm just going to call in a pro. I don't have the time, equipment or the experience to do the soldering. I was hoping it was something simple I could do myself, but I'm just not set up for it.

Maybe I'll talk to someone about a different setup, maybe move the washer valves off of the plastic utility sink and not have to shut down the water main in the future to do something simple like change the washers in a valve.

Thanks for all the replies -- much appreciated.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

It doesn't matter if there are new hoses or not,when the installers turned the water back on the washers could have crumbled and obstructing the inlet to the machine.

If no one has checked then thats what I'm still going with. LOL