(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting from tub to shower - Drain questions

The condo associations I have dealt with not only require a permit and inspection, but also a LICENSED and INSURED contractor to do the work.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good point HJ.

This renovation is under city of Vancouver Inspections. I am a licensed contractor and personally carry 4,000,000 in liability insurance. My plumber who is connecting the drains and doing all the plumber work is also ticked and his company carries 10,000,000 liability insurance.

Working on the 19th floor of a waterfront condo here in Vancouver or any other city for that matter you don't want a crew without insurance!

We patch the through hole today and call for our first plumbing inspection tomorrow. Then I'll set the shower' pre-slopes and install the waterproofing measures then get the inspector back for a flood test inspection.

As with most condo renovations the local strata needs to give the client permission to do the work. This job obviously has it and including the city in the equation just makes sense. You can never have enough eyes on a job and if your renovating your home or condo you should do the same.

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

HJ's point was that the OP lives in a condo, and is apparantly trying to do this on his own...risking LOTS in the process. It's one thing solicitiing ideas, but proper execution is mandated and multifamily dwellings have some of the more stringent requirements, then throw in the condo rules as well. At least around where I live, those condo rules are non-negotiable, they're part of the deed filing each person signs when he buys his place.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    HJ's point was that the OP lives in a condo, and is apparantly trying to do this on his own...risking LOTS in the process. It's one thing solicitiing ideas, but proper execution is mandated and multifamily dwellings have some of the more stringent requirements, then throw in the condo rules as well. At least around where I live, those condo rules are non-negotiable, they're part of the deed filing each person signs when he buys his place.
    Jim here in Vancouver you can do your own plumbing as long as it is not in common property. Things like a new faucet for the kitchen sink are OK. But what we are doing is in common property and Vancouver building codes require a ticked plumber to do the work. My man Ian from First Call is a plumber with 20 years on the tools.

We prepped up the through hole and fire proofed it with fire surpression bricks and then did a concrete overpour.

All reinforced with rebar, hilti pins, stucco lath, angle iron and of course my favourite Mapecem Pre-Mix Fast Setting Screed Mortar.

You can see at the drain the product all ready drying. And at that point it is a good 3.5" thick!

Love that stuff!!!

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Local rules vary...but in many places in the USA, it doesn't matter if it is a multifamily dwelling, you need a licensed worker to do the work (strangely, you can do your own HVAC stuff, but not electrical or plumbing in my city). Now, if it is a single family dwelling, as long as it is done with a permit and inspected, you can do whatever you want.

Chicago has some of the toughest plumbing regs in the country, and may be one of the more expensive places to do plumbing, so people try to cheat. It can be ugly if their effort gets discovered. We seem to have lost the OP.

In my condo, they define everything behind the finished walls and floor as common area, which complicates it on the condo side, not even considering what the city wants.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 03-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014