well water lab tests, best treatment option

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty easy to check that one. Just give the local Kinetico dealer a call and ask. That's what I did. Not saying that there are probably Kinetico dealers that charge a whole lot more and maybe some even less. Business 101, you charge enough to pay your operating costs and make a profit. Those that over charge generally don't stay around long because the competition buries them. For most business owners there is no logic in raping the customer. Word gets around pretty fast when you do. You base your rhetoric on the very few dealings you have had with disgruntled Kinetico customers of which if you bothered to reference that number against the number of satisfied customers would have no doubt shown you that most Kinetico customers are happy with their equipment and the service. You do the same thing with Culligan which is another company that has been in business for many years now and has probably the largest customer base of any filtration company in the United States. Because you don't understand or can not get those guys to play ball with you, you automatically trash talk them and their products. Not exactly the mark of a professional.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Damn man, I'd like to see you talk about something you know something about once in a while...

Kinetico dealers have an exclusive territory dealership, they have no competition because there is no one else in their service area that can service their highly proprietary equipment. And as they do with the abnormally high purchase price for their equipment, they charge a premium service call charge in most urban areas.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if you say so than it must be the truth LOL

Damn man. I'd like to see you talk about almost anything that you know something about LOL

Anyhoooo. It's late and I've had enough entertainment for the evening so perhaps someone else here would be kind enough to educate you on the complexities of running a profitable business from a fixed location with actual operating costs and overhead.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I did that fixed location thing for 18 years in both water treatment and well pump service. I started selling online through email in 2002 and in Sept 2003 started my little web site and by the end of 2004 I shut down the water treatment and the next spring the well pump part. And I had 2 Kinetico dealers in my service area.

You worked in daddy's plumbing business for 30 years selling all kinds of softeners and just now had to call your local Kinetico dealer to find out his service call charge...

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep indeed. That would be because I don't ever care what anyone else is charging. I know my bottom line and exactly what I have to charge to make money so knowing what everyone else gets is pretty much meaningless. And by the way, it has not been "daddy's" plumbing business since 1973, it's been mine.

Chevy427

Reaction score
I went to a doctor's office years ago and I sat in his examining room. He came in and spend the first ten minutes pointing to and describing all his 'credentials' on the wall and told me that HE was a REAL doctor. Never went back.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I went to a doctor's office years ago and I sat in his examining room. He came in and spend the first ten minutes pointing to and describing all his 'credentials' on the wall and told me that HE was a REAL doctor. Never went back.

Since I got on the internet in Jan. 1997, I've had many people tell me that's how they saw the local Kinetico dealer and their salesman after he came in telling them how "professional" and great he and Kinetico was and gave them the price of their water powered wonder water softener with nothing on it made by Kinetico but the control and by pass valves.

mrtmills

Reaction score
Thank you for your sympathies. It is frustrating but such is life. I am thinking about going out and getting myself a water softener on my own, can anyone here recommend a good website which details how to size one and which brands are satisfactory? I figure that I will need a softener in the chain at some point so may as well start there.
thanks a lot and have a great day.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for your sympathies. It is frustrating but such is life. I am thinking about going out and getting myself a water softener on my own, can anyone here recommend a good website which details how to size one and which brands are satisfactory? I figure that I will need a softener in the chain at some point so may as well start there.
thanks a lot and have a great day.

I could recommend a pile of web sites but honestly, I have no idea if their service is any good. Internet dealers have taken a hit lately from the two companies who's equipment you probably would like (Clack and Fleck) although I believe you can still get Fleck online though be careful it's not Chinese knock off junk. You might do better to find a local source that will sell you the equipment especially when it comes to needing parts down the road. If you just google water softener you will find a bunch of sites will interactive sizing programs and most will have charts that base size on water condition and water use and delivery.

mrtmills

Reaction score
Yes I don't know how I missed the bold print, I'll check it out right now. Anyhow, thanks again for all your assistance. I appreciate this resource immensely and you are good people for taking the time to answer the questions of those feeling helpless.
take care

mrtmills

Reaction score
Hello,
Two places I have contacted deal with Myers. Has anyone heard of or formed an opinion of such a brand name? Also, I plan to change the anode rod in the hot water tank due to the sulfur smell but if it is still remains is a carbon filter the best solution?
thanks again

mrtmills

Reaction score
My water is kind of fixed!

I have had a stroke of luck and what seems a little mysteriousness. To reiterate this long thread, my water would become fine after a bleaching but only for a month or so. After that, the water would slowly get smelly and more irony until I become infuriated. The water test showed hardness of around 20 gpg and the iron at about 1.1 ppm, just a bit more than the minimum noticeable amount (.3 ppm I think it was). The manganese was high too. The stains which were left on the enameled fixtures was very red/brown and extremely tenacious. I would have to clean my toilet every 3rd day with CLR to make any headway.

Now for the fix, and I would love anybody's thoughts on how this is possible. The other day I was watering my garden because we were having a dry spell and the tap ran for about 8 hours. I have a 360' , 6" well and a recovery of about 1/2 g/p, at least those were the specs after the well was drilled. Anyway, after 8 hours the water pressure was poor and the colour was muddy, full of particles. I tasted it and can only compare it to blood. I let the well recover over night to find the the water the next morning odourless and free of any impure tastes. I took a sample and did a jar test with some bleach. This resulted is some little red flocs which I poured through a coffee filter. So the iron was still there, just maybe not as much and there was no bad taste. It has been 2 weeks now and the water is still fine. The toilet still gets stained, but much slower and the residue is light orange and does not actually stain, it is just hanging on there. A quick swipe with the tiolet brush, no chemicals, and it is clean again. I guess when I was shocking the well it was not the shocking that brought me relief but draining the chlorine out and emptying the well. So those are the facts, and I have no explanation - I am just happy for now.

thanks again,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks