(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: well water lab tests, best treatment option

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmills View Post
    Thank you for your sympathies. It is frustrating but such is life. I am thinking about going out and getting myself a water softener on my own, can anyone here recommend a good website which details how to size one and which brands are satisfactory? I figure that I will need a softener in the chain at some point so may as well start there.
    thanks a lot and have a great day.
    I could recommend a pile of web sites but honestly, I have no idea if their service is any good. Internet dealers have taken a hit lately from the two companies who's equipment you probably would like (Clack and Fleck) although I believe you can still get Fleck online though be careful it's not Chinese knock off junk. You might do better to find a local source that will sell you the equipment especially when it comes to needing parts down the road. If you just google water softener you will find a bunch of sites will interactive sizing programs and most will have charts that base size on water condition and water use and delivery.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Yes I don't know how I missed the bold print, I'll check it out right now. Anyhow, thanks again for all your assistance. I appreciate this resource immensely and you are good people for taking the time to answer the questions of those feeling helpless.
    take care

Hello,
    Two places I have contacted deal with Myers. Has anyone heard of or formed an opinion of such a brand name? Also, I plan to change the anode rod in the hot water tank due to the sulfur smell but if it is still remains is a carbon filter the best solution?
    thanks again

My water is kind of fixed!

I have had a stroke of luck and what seems a little mysteriousness. To reiterate this long thread, my water would become fine after a bleaching but only for a month or so. After that, the water would slowly get smelly and more irony until I become infuriated. The water test showed hardness of around 20 gpg and the iron at about 1.1 ppm, just a bit more than the minimum noticeable amount (.3 ppm I think it was). The manganese was high too. The stains which were left on the enameled fixtures was very red/brown and extremely tenacious. I would have to clean my toilet every 3rd day with CLR to make any headway.

Now for the fix, and I would love anybody's thoughts on how this is possible. The other day I was watering my garden because we were having a dry spell and the tap ran for about 8 hours. I have a 360' , 6" well and a recovery of about 1/2 g/p, at least those were the specs after the well was drilled. Anyway, after 8 hours the water pressure was poor and the colour was muddy, full of particles. I tasted it and can only compare it to blood. I let the well recover over night to find the the water the next morning odourless and free of any impure tastes. I took a sample and did a jar test with some bleach. This resulted is some little red flocs which I poured through a coffee filter. So the iron was still there, just maybe not as much and there was no bad taste. It has been 2 weeks now and the water is still fine. The toilet still gets stained, but much slower and the residue is light orange and does not actually stain, it is just hanging on there. A quick swipe with the tiolet brush, no chemicals, and it is clean again. I guess when I was shocking the well it was not the shocking that brought me relief but draining the chlorine out and emptying the well. So those are the facts, and I have no explanation - I am just happy for now.

thanks again,