can I use a 3/4 hp dual cap control box on my 1/2 hp Goulds 10GS05 pump

Users who are viewing this thread

fcbclan

Reaction score
Can I use a 3/4 hp energy saving dual cap control box with seprate start and run caps on my 1/2 hp Goulds 10GS05 pump which now has a control box with only 1 cap a franklin 2801054915. and will it save me money on my electric bill. I guess it starts the pump slower with less amp draw, is that right?

I also would like to know if a booster pump is a good idea to maintain my well pressure when my geothermal comes on it drops my pressure to about 25psi, and It would be nice to maintain it at 40 until I change my 1/2 hp pump to a 3/4 hp pump. I am thinking about using the one below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-hor...-pump-with-stainless-steel-housing-68390.html

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks and God Bless

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you can use a CSCR (cap start, cap run) on your pump, even if it's a higher HP than your pump. You can go up, just not down.

It won't save you much electricity, but it will use slightly less than an IR (induction run) box alone. The CSCR engages the start windings with the run windings, whereas a IR box only uses the start windings to start and then swaps to the run windings.

No comment on the booster pump. I suspect it will not work for what you want it for. It boosts pressure, what you need is more volume, not pressure. Enter the CSV vs. VFD black hole.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually I would not change out the ½ HP well pump. It is OK and a good thing for the heat pump to work at low pressure. You just need to use a booster pump for the house only. Let the heat pump run at low pressure, which will allow you to stay with the small ½ HP well pump. This will save considerable energy compared to increasing the size of the well pump.

Then attach a booster pump that boost the pressure to the house alone. This booster will only run when the house needs water, which is a tiny amount of time compared to how long the heat pump runs, which gets its water from the well pump alone.

See a diagram at this link:
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/csvapplications_8.html

As for the booster pump you gave a link to; That is not a variable speed controller. It is one of those flow off, pressure on devices, that has an integral baseball size tank. Along with that pump, they are not very reliable. But they are cheap so you can just replace them every year or so as needed. Their Achilles heal is a small leak. If you have a dripping faucet, or forget to giggle the handle on the toilet, that pump will be cycled to death in short order. But it’s cheap, so you can just go get another one. Hopefully they have one in stock. Every time I count on picking something up at that company, they are out of stock. :(

A quality brand name jet pump with a Cycle Stop Valve and 4.4 gallon size pressure tank makes a bulletproof booster pump system. Any flow rate you need, including small leaks, will not cause this system to cycle excessively. It may cost five times as much as that cheap pump, but it will still be giving good service 15 to 20 years from now. Not only will this save money in the long run, but will save a lot of aggravation. Pumps never quit at a good time. It is always Friday night, New Years eve, or just when you get a house full of company that you will be needing to replace that pump, and quick.

fcbclan

Reaction score
I found a better pump I think.
RED LION RJC Convertible Jet Pump

Ideal for the supply of water to rural homes, farms or cabins with suction lifts up to 90 feet.
Features
• Rugged cast iron casing.
• Shallow & deep well uses up to 90’.
• Deep well injector & brass flow control
valve included.
• Glass filled thermoplastic impeller and diffuser.
• Pressures to 87 PSI & flow rates to 20.2 U.S. GPM.
• 30/50 pressure switch.
• 1 1/4” suction, 1” discharge.
• 2 Year over-the-counter warranty.

Valveman, what are the two devices in the diagram after the pressure switches in the Two pump geothermal Diagram? and can I use CSV1 instead of CSV1W for the two CSV's

fcbclan

Reaction score
what is the best water line to use? flex loop to eliminate 90 degree bends

what is the best water line to use? flex loop to eliminate 90 degree bends or pipe with 90 degree bends. I am hooking up the two pump geothermal open loop in Valvemans diagram.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman, what are the two devices in the diagram after the pressure switches in the Two pump geothermal Diagram? and can I use CSV1 instead of CSV1W for the two CSV's

That is just a ball valve. Not absolutely necessary. The CSV1W won't set low enough for the first pump. It needs to be set about 15-20 PSI. The CSV1 will work and I can get them in 10 or 20 PSI, you just have to put them is a place where if they leak it won't hurt anything. The best place to install the CSV1 is in the well, because the small leak will not be noticed.

fcbclan

Reaction score
wrong CSV in the diagram

Is the wrong CSV in the diagram for the two pump geothermal open loop diagram? The first one is to be 20 PSI and the CSV1W is 45-50 PSI so I guess the CSV1 would be the right CSV for the first one. I guess I could use a 20 PSI CSV for the first one and a 50 PSI CSV for the second one.

fcbclan

Reaction score
That is just a ball valve. Not absolutely necessary. The CSV1W won't set low enough for the first pump. It needs to be set about 15-20 PSI. The CSV1 will work and I can get them in 10 or 20 PSI, you just have to put them is a place where if they leak it won't hurt anything. The best place to install the CSV1 is in the well, because the small leak will not be noticed.

why would they leak and why would I install something that will leak

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
why would they leak and why would I install something that will leak

It has much better flow characteristics, and is 1/3 the cost. They don't leak unless you have something abrasive or slimmy in the water, so we just assume every system does as a worst case scenario. You just need to put it in the well, in a valve box, or just out in the yard like they do in Florida, so if it does leak it won't hurt anything. When the leak it is only like 1 gallon a week. But that wouldn't be good in the basement. I have one that is 14 years old, but it is in the well so I don't even know if it leaks.

fcbclan

Reaction score
I guess I still don't understand why do they leak , I am in north Iowa, everything is in my basement.

The CSV1 leaks, But the CSV1A does not, and which one is 1/3 the cost

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV1 is plastic, not adjustable, cost 1/3 as much as the metal valves, has better flow characteristics, but leaks a small amount if an o-ring gets cut with sand or slimmed over with something in the water.

The CSV1A is adjustable, all Stainless Steel, will handle sand and debris without leaking, but has more friction loss, and cost more than the plastic valves.

Of course you could replace the plastic valve three times for the same price as one of the SS valves. In your case the two valves will work almost exactly the same, so it is your choice.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Don't support the harbor fright asians when you have domestic options. And anything with a motor in it from that industry killer is highly suspect. I have a Sears 49$ angle grinder that is going strong at 12 years. I tried the harbor death version for $9.99 and got 3 weeks out of it. Do the math. Tarps and hand tools for your workers to steal are a fair deal.

Some examples....

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1792402

http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=357

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks