Well water level sounder?

Users who are viewing this thread

JPat

Reaction score
Website
huemannwelldrilling.com
Does anyone have a recomendation on a good frequency sounder for measuring water levels of well with DROP PIPE INSTALLED?
I am researching an Eno Scientific 2010 Pro and I cannot find a single review of this product.
Thanks in advance. Jason

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
We use one of theses and they work very well. 2 nice features are they see past torque guides and arrestors, and that you can use automatic static water level logging for tests more than a few hours or days.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you make a living testing existing wells I think the $1000 would be worth it but you can buy a lot of 1/4" poly for that much. Mind you, taping 1/4" poly to the downpipe is really only practical when setting a pump.

JPat

Reaction score
Website
huemannwelldrilling.com
Thanks for the feedback so far...The fact that it can "see" past torque arrestors is amazing, never thought to even ask that. As for the poly lines, we deal with a lot of residential wells that have existing pumps set and need to know their pumping levels for upgrades, water levels newly drilled wells(deep) and in monitoring wells etc. I'll keep checking here for more user feedback.
Also is anyone using a different sounder for this application that I can research and compair?
thanks again

Last edited:

JPat

Reaction score
Website
huemannwelldrilling.com
So, we have been using this water level meter for a couple years now and due to the inconsistencies, we have purchased another meter from Ravensgate. The problems we have had with the Eno Scientific model are that you need a sealed well to keep the "puff" of air in the casing. However, even with a well seal we continue to get inaccurate readings with both of the meters we purchased.
The 'sonar' from Ravensgate has not failed us yet, we have been using it for a year and have gotten very accurate readings every time.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got 2 Eno Scientifics and 2 Ravensgates, I think they're both good units but can give inconsistent readings at times especially in cable tool wells where there is a lot of borehole size deviation.

We use a plastic coffee can lid on top of the well with the Eno unit to help give more accurate readings.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've also got both the ravensgate and the eno sonic meters. They don't work in all situations. They work in maybe 70% of the wells I check. You have a reading in a matter of seconds. If they work great. If not, it's plan B.

I can't count how many tips I've pulled off of electrical depth sounders, or got stuck and had to leave behind until the pump was pulled.

An airline is the best permanent depth sounding method. I use either 1/4" polyethylene tubing at 11 cents per foot or 1/4" air brake tubing at around 40 cents.

If I install a down hole pressure transducer, it goes inside 1" or 1 1/4" flush thread PVC.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We only use sonic indicators, they're quick, easy, fairly reliable, no cross contamination, nothing stuck in the hole and cost effective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks