Solder brass water valves -?

Users who are viewing this thread

Peterjame

Reaction score
I'm replacing and old Moen tub deck mount faucet set with a new valve(s). Both valve inlet and outlets are threaded but on the old set I took out the copper tubing is inserted into the fitting and somehow welded to the valve. assuming it was soldered I tried heating it up but the tubing does not release. Questions: 1) what was used to weld the tubing to the brass valve ? Doesn't seem to be solder. And 2) can I solder the copper tubing into these brass fittings on the new valves ?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many shower valves are available with male pipe threads, and the inside of the fitting is machined to the size of 1/2" copper pipe, so you can sweat it. It should be soft solder , not brazed. UNSOLDERING fittings is sometimes difficult.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because the valve has a lot more mass than a typical fitting, it takes either a big, hot torch or a lot longer to get things hot enough to melt solder. Then, you need to be fast, as using pliers to grasp the hot pipe cools things off and if you try a rag and don't use natural fibers, it can melt (i.e., don't use a polyester cloth, use something like cotton).

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm replacing and old Moen tub deck mount faucet set with a new valve(s). Both valve inlet and outlets are threaded but on the old set I took out the copper tubing is inserted into the fitting and somehow welded to the valve. assuming it was soldered I tried heating it up but the tubing does not release. Questions: 1) what was used to weld the tubing to the brass valve ? Doesn't seem to be solder. And 2) can I solder the copper tubing into these brass fittings on the new valves ?

Thanks

Are there copper couplings about 6" down from where the copper pipe goes into the brass valve of the Moen roman tub valves? This would be the hot and cold water pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks