(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Solder brass water valves -?

Default Solder brass water valves -?

I'm replacing and old Moen tub deck mount faucet set with a new valve(s). Both valve inlet and outlets are threaded but on the old set I took out the copper tubing is inserted into the fitting and somehow welded to the valve. assuming it was soldered I tried heating it up but the tubing does not release. Questions: 1) what was used to weld the tubing to the brass valve ? Doesn't seem to be solder. And 2) can I solder the copper tubing into these brass fittings on the new valves ?

Thanks

Many shower valves are available with male pipe threads, and the inside of the fitting is machined to the size of 1/2" copper pipe, so you can sweat it. It should be soft solder , not brazed. UNSOLDERING fittings is sometimes difficult.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Because the valve has a lot more mass than a typical fitting, it takes either a big, hot torch or a lot longer to get things hot enough to melt solder. Then, you need to be fast, as using pliers to grasp the hot pipe cools things off and if you try a rag and don't use natural fibers, it can melt (i.e., don't use a polyester cloth, use something like cotton).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peterjame View Post
    I'm replacing and old Moen tub deck mount faucet set with a new valve(s). Both valve inlet and outlets are threaded but on the old set I took out the copper tubing is inserted into the fitting and somehow welded to the valve. assuming it was soldered I tried heating it up but the tubing does not release. Questions: 1) what was used to weld the tubing to the brass valve ? Doesn't seem to be solder. And 2) can I solder the copper tubing into these brass fittings on the new valves ?

Thanks
    Are there copper couplings about 6" down from where the copper pipe goes into the brass valve of the Moen roman tub valves? This would be the hot and cold water pipes.