Quikcrete Sand/Topping Mix--should I add more sand?

Users who are viewing this thread

jolycu

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading concerning setting the shower pan in mortar for support and leveling. From what I've read, it seems most recommend a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio of sand:cement. I'm going to use Quikcrete Sand/Topping mix which I understand is approximately 3:1. Should I plan on adding sand to bring this to a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio, or can I use it straight from the bag?

This is the shower pan we are installing: http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=120504&Category_Code=SPN. This is in an 18-year-old mobile home and will replace an existing bathtub. It is 54" x 28", so will one 60# bag of the Quikcrete be enough? We are going to use the "pile method" I've read about on this forum. My husband is a pretty big guy so I want this to be solid and sturdy.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Joyce

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You can add sand if you wish, but it will do the job.

No need to complicate this.

jolycu

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your answers, I appreciate it. They guys at Lowe's were totally clueless when I told them what I wanted to do. I was looking at the sand/topping mix and they said "Oh, no, you definitely don't want that." They called a guy in the flooring dept and he claimed to have just what I needed. So I went back there and he tried to sell me thinset! I had to explain all over what I was doing and he agreed that thinset wouldn't work and sent me back to the building materials section. I knew I had read on here that someone had used the sand/topping mix, so I just grabbed a bag and got out of there.

Now, will a 60# bag be enough? Is there a rule of thumb regarding how much to use?

Thanks again for your help.
Joyce

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I think your going to need 2-3 bags....but it depends on your shower and it should never be more than 2" thick,I believe the bag says its good up to 2" thick. Thats about what I use on the ones I do that are a tad bigger then yours.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
According to their technical drawing the bottom of the pan sits on the floor so there may NOT be any "open space" under it for cement, without "lifting it up" and preventing the base from setting solid. All the installation instructions specify that the "foam base" must sit solidly on the floor.

Last edited:

jolycu

Reaction score
Thanks hj, I noticed the foam base after I posted about the sand mix. But we are also replacing a shower in the other bathroom that doesn't have a foam base, so the information will still be relevant.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the base has a "flat bottom" anything put under it will raise it off the floor. If the base has a void under it, which is a base I would never use, then it does need support.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
IF the base has a "flat bottom" anything put under it will raise it off the floor. If the base has a void under it, which is a base I would never use, then it does need support.

Sterling Vikrell bases can be installed with or without mortar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks