will low flow toilet work on old septic system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ten High

Reaction score
Theoretical question:
Have a 1950s (6gallon?) toilet (Crane) on even older septic system. I am wondering if a modern 1.6 gallon toilet will work with this old system. here's the existing setup:
From upstairs toilet, waste pipe has a vertical drop of about 12 feet to right angle turn , then pipe goes horizontal about another 12 feet to another right angle turn, then a horizontal straight run of almost 30 feet out of the house and continuint straight another 20 feet or so to the concrete septic tank . Its about a 1930ish system.
Just wondering, if I replaced the old fashioned toilet, if the new modern low flow toilet would have enough water discharge to flush things out to the septic tank ?
The existing system as is works fine and always has, but eventually want to put in all new bathroom fixtures.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, low flow toilets are not equal. Do heed the advice on Terry's web site.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks