Small leak in new copper soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

firepilot

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading a bunch on this forum for the last few weeks. I am doing a small bathroom remodel. I had to change a few copper lines and add a couple of tee's to bring water to a new shower.

I finished last night and today after work I pressurized the system. Of the 25 joints I soldered I had 3 small leaks. From the old line to the new stuff I did add a quarter turn valve and then a union. The leaks are between the unions and where the sink eventually will be. One is on a 90 in the middle of the run where it had to change elevation. This is all pretty easy access in my basement.

Several connections that I thought I struggled with held up fine. The joints in the wall (which is all open) all were holding nicely.

I have turned the water off at the valves, and disconnected the unions to let the system drain back out and dry. What is the best way to re solder those joints? The old guy at the Home Depot said to just reheat them and hit a bit more solder.

Thanks for any insight you folks might have.

Phil

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The old guy at the Home Depot said to just reheat them and hit a bit more solder.

I guess the old guy has never wielded a torch before.
Once you have had water in the pipes, it's too late to reheat and add solder. You will need to cut out the offending fitting, clean the pipe, flux, assemble and then solder it up. I like to keep the system open while soldering to prevent a leak on the last joint soldered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks