Can Teflon tape (PTFE) cause leaks on compression fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't see where any OSHA spec is related to the water connection on a dishwasher or icemaker line. I am also dealing right now with the new ADA specs on accessible swimming pools, but that has nothing to do with a dishwasher! ( Details...details.....!!!. You can use water-powered lift, but the water hose to the lift can not become a trip hazard to other pool users! Good luck with that one!)

Spta97

Reaction score
I picked up a braided stainless supply line from Eastman. Any issues with that brand? It was either that or Watts but I will check HD to see if they have Fluidmaster.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you are over thinking this. There isn't that much difference, if any, in quality brands. Just avoid the Flood Safe which I believe is a Watts product. Watts is a dependable brand, but the Flood Safe was/is a lousy idea.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Even when I use PEX or some other material to reach the icemaker area, I always finish it to the refrigerator with the flexible stainless hose.

Yeah I thought you used PEX...at least once. It's not so bad, I use it too. O

Spta97

Reaction score
I think you are over thinking this. There isn't that much difference, if any, in quality brands. Just avoid the Flood Safe which I believe is a Watts product. Watts is a dependable brand, but the Flood Safe was/is a lousy idea.

Perhaps - I just want to make sure I don't have any issues and it seemed that some people here did not trust Watts in general.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This mornings job at a church, following up after a handyman. He used tape on the compression threads, didn't bother removing the back nut. He snugged it up so tight that it broke the threaded body of the stop. I don't use tape on compression. Sometimes oil on the threads, or perhaps a bit of dope right at the end of the stop threads where the sleeve would touch.

stop-with-tape-terrylove-01.jpg

Below you can see where the stop was fractured.

stop-with-tape-terrylove-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks