Can Teflon tape (PTFE) cause leaks on compression fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spta97

Reaction score
I learned from reading some posts that Teflon tape was not required on stainless steel braided lines with compression fittings. What I'm not sure about is can it actually cause leaks?

Since this is new information to me I have a few stainless steel supply lines on which Teflon tape is installed. I am wondering if I should remove it?

Thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there's enough tape, it can prevent the compression nut from screwing down far enough to seal the joint. Also, stray bits of tape
can get lodged in the actual sealing surface, and cause a leak. There's really no need to undo a functioning connection just to remove
the tape, unless you're concerned about the reputation of the taper-upper. Thread tape is for use on tapered pipe joints only, where
the threads themselves are the sealing surfaces.

Spta97

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

One more question, I installed a dishwasher this weekend and used one of the floodsafe stainless steel supply lines. I read on here that they can break so I was looking for an alternate. The only one I found was a GE universal braided supply line but it does not appear to be metal.

Is there a particular brand that is recommended?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I learned from reading some posts that Teflon tape was not required on stainless steel braided lines with compression fittings. What I'm not sure about is can it actually cause leaks?

Since this is new information to me I have a few stainless steel supply lines on which Teflon tape is installed. I am wondering if I should remove it?

Thanks!

I can only think of one instance when teflon tape is indicated for use on a compression ferrule. That would be on CPVC pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fluidmaster and several other companies make a stainless steel icemaker supply line that is NOT "floodsafe".

fluidmaster_dw.gif

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the following is incorrect, I'm sure one of the pros will jump in with a correction. Let me say that the only compression fittings I have are those connecting flex tubing to appliances and/or fixtures. These connections do not use a sealant such as tape or pipe dope. It is my understanding that compression fittings, such as valves-to-pipe, also should not be taped or doped. A drop or two of light oil, ie. 3-in-1, on the threads is OK but not required. The overwhelming opinion of pros on this forum is that Floodsafe supply lines are garbage. Ice makers, toilets, dishwashers, and other fixtures can use braided SS covered hoses.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the following is incorrect, I'm sure one of the pros will jump in with a correction. Let me say that the only compression fittings I have are those connecting flex tubing to appliances and/or fixtures. These connections do not use a sealant such as tape or pipe dope. It is my understanding that compression fittings, such as valves-to-pipe, also should not be taped or doped. A drop or two of light oil, ie. 3-in-1, on the threads is OK but not required. The overwhelming opinion of pros on this forum is that Floodsafe supply lines are garbage. Ice makers, toilets, dishwashers, and other fixtures can use braided SS covered hoses.

When installing brass compression ferrules onto CPVC, Teflon tape can be used to wrap the ferrule. Or so says Charlotte pipe.

I don't do the stainless braided hoses. I use PEX water supplies or chromed copper tube.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I learned something today! Doubt that it will change my mind though. Yes, Mr. Plumber 111, you are correct. There is no such thing as "Teflon" tape. With a quick Google search I found that Teflon is a trade name belonging to DuPont. The tape we all refer to as Teflon is actually PTFE tape. I think we have another case like "Romex" that was in another area of the forum recently. Now that this cleared up, I'm sure we will all change our vocabulary and say, "Please hand me the PTFE tape" instead of Telfon tape the same as well all will say, "shielded 3 wire" instead of Romex. So Plumber 111, ya made me look, but ya can make me change. I still won't use the stuff.

Spta97

Reaction score
Fluidmaster and several other companies make a stainless steel icemaker supply line that is NOT "floodsafe".

hj - I didn't have any luck at Lowes or HD for a 6 foot dishwasher supply line. It was either Floodsafe or the GE one that did not seem to be stainless steel (it also did not have rubber washers - just a flaired brass (?) tube inside - perhaps I'll search online. Thanks for the Fluidmaster sugguestion - I have had good luck with them.

When installing brass compression ferrules onto cpvc,teflon tape can be used to wrap the ferrule. Or so says Charlotte pipe.

I dont do the stainless braided hoses. I use pex water supplies or chromed copper tube.

Hackney - Is there a reason you don't like the stainless braided hoses? I actually removed the existing copper tubing as I don't trust it - one kink and it is leaking. That can easily happen with the removal of a dishwashwer.

For the icemaker I ran a pex tube (it was 25' or so). Would a pex tube be preferable over braided stainless steel?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The easiest connection for the DIY is a braided stainless supply.
I have also seen supplies for 3/8" that don't have washers, and they work fine.

I always let my DIY customers know that PTFE (Teflon Tape) is not used for the braided supply lines.

fluidmaster-wc-16.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since Dupont has gotten their kickers in a twist, I have been referring to the white stuff as Kleenex® tape.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
hj - I didn't have any luck at Lowes or HD for a 6 foot dishwasher supply line. It was either Floodsafe or the GE one that did not seem to be stainless steel (it also did not have rubber washers - just a flaired brass (?) tube inside - perhaps I'll search online. Thanks for the Fluidmaster sugguestion - I have had good luck with them.

Hackney - Is there a reason you don't like the stainless braided hoses? I actually removed the existing copper tubing as I don't trust it - one kink and it is leaking. That can easily happen with the removal of a dishwashwer.

For the icemaker I ran a pex tube (it was 25' or so). Would a pex tube be preferable over braided stainless steel?

I prefer pex over the stainless braided hoses because I can custom fit the pex. The braided hose comes already terminated.

One question for the forum.

Is under a dishwasher READILY ACCESSIBLE? Whats YOUR plumbing codes definition?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think the code defines "readily" accesssible, but an access such as the lower access panel on a dishwasher, qualifies.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I don't think the code defines "readily" accesssible, but an access such as the lower access panel on a dishwasher, qualifies.

Most codes would consider "accessible" in a situation that requires removal of a panel or cover. Readily accessible does not require the removal of a panel or concealment device.

The stainless braid is only required to be accessible. A dishwasher would meet that definition but if it had a panel that stayed attached and flipped down it would be considered readily accessible if it could be done without the use of tools. If the panel came completely off without tools it would still be just "accessible" . It must stay attached for it to be considered readily accessible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the wall is NOT readily accessible. Almost everywhere else is, if you do not need a hammer and crowbar to get to it. Even when I use PEX or some other material to reach the icemaker area, I always finish it to the refrigerator with the flexible stainless hose.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
In the wall is NOT readily accessible. Almost everywhere else is, if you do not need a hammer and crowbar to get to it. Even when I use PEX or some other material to reach the icemaker area, I always finish it to the refrigerator with the flexible stainless hose.

I assure you there is a difference between "accessible" and "readily accessible". Osha and all those type organizations define it and so do some plumbing codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks